1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission help ....please

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Turbolag, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Turbolag

Turbolag New Member

Hey everyone.

I'm back.

I have an 02 Chevy Suburban.

A couple days ago I noticed it was making a LOUD rattling, clanking noise from under the truck.

I crawled under the next day, and left the engine running so I could find the noise.

I worked my way back to the transmission and it is REALLY loud right underneath the transmission pan.

I have no idea what the problem could be.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks !
  2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

The only advice I can give you is to pull the pan, and see if anything doesn't look right.
  3. 94burbtx

94burbtx New Member

did you check the fluid level?
  4. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

Is this rattleing noise more to the front where the torque converter is?
    Is your trans still shifting & operating normally?
  5. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

Good point, Stephan! I forgot about that. My truck was making some serious metal on metal sounds while under torque. Took me a couple of days to figure out that one of the torque converter bolts had walked out and was hitting the dust shield!
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts

I've seen 3 instances of those noises in the TC area Jess. One was a bolt backing out like your was, the second was a cracked/broken flex plate that was allowing the ring gear to grind away on the starter gear under acceleration, & the third was a T C balance weight that the spot weld had broken loose on one end & was slapping the dust cover.
    I'm hoping that the posters noise is coming from this area instead of the trans pan because these are cheaper to fix than a trans rebuild.
  7. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban New Member

I definitely agree, Stephan. With the fact that Turbolag didn't mention the transmission malfunctioning, I would say that this is a definite possibility!
  8. Turbolag

Turbolag New Member

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your replies.

It turns out it wasn't the transmission ! ...Whew... One of the catalytic converters broke apart on the inside.

Its fixed now. One new cat.

Man, 200 for a cat.
  9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

glad you found the problem and that it wasnt the tranny.
  10. Turbolag

Turbolag New Member

Thanks man. I'm glad it was something simple.

:happy: