Transmission help ....please

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Turbolag, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Turbolag

Turbolag New Member

Hey everyone.

I'm back.

I have an 02 Chevy Suburban.

A couple days ago I noticed it was making a LOUD rattling, clanking noise from under the truck.

I crawled under the next day, and left the engine running so I could find the noise.

I worked my way back to the transmission and it is REALLY loud right underneath the transmission pan.

I have no idea what the problem could be.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks !

2. 1991 Suburban

1991 Suburban Rockstar 100 Posts

The only advice I can give you is to pull the pan, and see if anything doesn't look right.

3. 94burbtx

94burbtx New Member

did you check the fluid level?

4. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Is this rattleing noise more to the front where the torque converter is?
    Is your trans still shifting & operating normally?

5. 1991 Suburban

Good point, Stephan! I forgot about that. My truck was making some serious metal on metal sounds while under torque. Took me a couple of days to figure out that one of the torque converter bolts had walked out and was hitting the dust shield!

6. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I've seen 3 instances of those noises in the TC area Jess. One was a bolt backing out like your was, the second was a cracked/broken flex plate that was allowing the ring gear to grind away on the starter gear under acceleration, & the third was a T C balance weight that the spot weld had broken loose on one end & was slapping the dust cover.
    I'm hoping that the posters noise is coming from this area instead of the trans pan because these are cheaper to fix than a trans rebuild.

7. 1991 Suburban

I definitely agree, Stephan. With the fact that Turbolag didn't mention the transmission malfunctioning, I would say that this is a definite possibility!

8. Turbolag

Turbolag New Member

Hey everyone. Thanks for all of your replies.

It turns out it wasn't the transmission ! ...Whew... One of the catalytic converters broke apart on the inside.

Its fixed now. One new cat.

Man, 200 for a cat.

9. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

glad you found the problem and that it wasnt the tranny.

10. Turbolag

Turbolag New Member

Thanks man. I'm glad it was something simple.

:happy: