1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

transmission interchange info?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by senorbob999, Oct 9, 2010.

1. senorbob999

senorbob999 New Member

i have a 2001 chevy silverado ext cab 4.8L v8 with a 4l60e tranny. the tranny is starting to go out and will soon leave me stranded. to rebuild the tranny it will cost over $1500. ive seen trannys on craigslist and ebay for silverados and sierras go for $500 with low mileage. my question is what year trucks transmissions are interchangable with my 2001 silverado? i want to buy a used tranny and put it in my truck but i need to know what years are interchangable with no modification needed to my truck or tranny wiring harness. any help would be greatly apreciated. i read online that gm changed the tranny wiring harness on some fullsize trucks but i dont know what year this change took effect. would a tranny from a suv or standard cab fit my truck? or does it have to be from a same year same body style truck?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Alright anything from 1999-2002 in the Silverado/sierra 1500 range. and anything from 2000-2002 Suburban Yukon XL, Tahoe, and Yukon will fit. they have to be 1/2 ton, and also you need to be sure that it comes from a truck with either 2wd or 4wd depending on what drivetrain your truck has. Any any body style will fit the trannies are identical.
    Now the 2003 up models may fit as well with out modification but im not 100% i just listed off the models that i know for a fact that they will fit out of without modification.