Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Transmission issues 82 elcomino

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mralers86, May 12, 2010.

1. mralers86

mralers86 New Member

I have a 82 elcomino that has a 350 chevy truck motor (one belt, if that matters). im not sure wat year n model the motor is i jus no its between 78-89. My transmission will go in R but not D so i figure is pretty much over for that trans. Im wondering what transmission i need and i was wondering if there are any online sites that are suggested.

2. bigdaddy77084

bigdaddy77084 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Does it have a carb??

3. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Didnt they come with the old Turbo 350 trannys?

4. bigdaddy77084

im thinking the short one.. And if it has a carb the tranny is all vacuum. I know if you dont hook that vacuum line up in the right place the tranny will shift funny or not at all..

5. rustyk2

rustyk2 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Most El Camino's came with a th350 vacuum modulated transmission.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

And if it is an OD it is a 200R4....

7. mralers86

mralers86 New Member

it has a 650 elderbrock

8. mralers86

mralers86 New Member

it has a 650 eldebrock on it. b4 the trans went out the shifting was a little funny and i could never get it rite. i assumed it was my kick dwn cable n i adjusted it the best i could, so that da shift wasnt bad but it wasnt on point (if that make sense). i got up one morning put it in D went to pull off and sumthing popped. so wit me not knowing the yr this motor is, i dont know what transmission to shop for and the local ppl want to charge a arm and a leg jus to check it out.

9. rustyk2

rustyk2 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

can you check the casting numbers on the block? they should be stamped in on a flat surface. Then check on line, there are sites to find what year the block was manufactured.

10. bigdaddy77084

try your luck at a junk yard..A tranny job aint that hard..