Transmission Lines

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sc99z71, Sep 10, 2009.

1. sc99z71

sc99z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm about to install an aux trans cooler in front of the radiator, and was wanting to find out how to tell whick of the stock cooler lines that run in and out of the radiator for the stock trans cooler are flowinf to or from the transmission. Any body know??

2. hook

hook New Member

In from the trans on the bottom and out back to the trans on the top. Don't reuse the e-clips. Dorman part # 800-801 at most auto parts stores will get you a set of 12.

3. sc99z71

Thanks hook!!!!!

4. hook

hook New Member

You might want to think about installing a remote filter while your at it. Check out Summit Racing they have several kits. Newer GM use 3/8 lines.

5. sc99z71

I was actualy looking into that while I was at it. Also might do an in line trans temp gauge, we'll see. With the in line filter would you be able to leave the stock trans filter off. That would make a trans fluid and filter change super easy with the drain plug in the trans pan. Never have to drop the pan again.

6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The pan filter needs to be in place for 2 reasons.
    First the filter is also the pickup tube and without it the pump would suck air.
    Second and more importantly the pan filter filters oil inside the main transmission where an inline filter only filters torque converter oil.

7. sc99z71

Gotcha! Thanks for the help.