Transmission or transfer case problem

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by KyleZ71, Jun 19, 2014.

1. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Hey guys sorry its been so long but I was busy trying to graduate college and get my air force commission.

The other day after leaving a local air race the truck had problems accelerating. I thought I lost overdrive but saw in the message box "service 4wd". I looked over an saw that the truck had somehow put itself in 4wd low. I did not have the truck in neutral nor did I hit or numb 4wd low. After I pulled over and put the truck into 4wd high, then 2wd I heard a low metallic bang. Now when I'm driving the t truck, as I accelerate I hear a pop when shifting and sometimes a rattle as well. I'm now wondering if the damage has been done to the transfer case or the transmission itself?

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

i would have to guess t-case. I have see exactly what you described and it turned out to be a bad tcase. Except the one I saw kept going into 4 low.

if your tcase has never been rebuilt or replaced the I believe that your model falls under the years and model that had the pump rub issue. see if there is even any fluid in it.

about 1:20 in the vid shows where to look for the hole. It ca be really small and will only leak when driving.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj5ZS8wOmNk

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I think the best thing to do is change the T-case fluid and maybe also the rear and front diff fluid so you can check the old oils for any metal shards/chips. Also will allow you to smell if anything is burnt in there. For the rear diff while you have the cover off put one of the wheels in the air and turn until you can see the internals of the carrier to make sure they are ok(I don't think i need to tell you about how to do that right). I would also check on how the front shaft spins because it should move very smoothly as well as check the rear shaft for any play in any direction.

4. KyleZ71

Was gonna change the transfer case fluid just to check (even though I changed it in February). Will be kissed if the transfer case needs replaced as it was replaced last june

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

was it a rebuilt case? where did you get it? if rebuilt then the pump rub issue should have been resolved. If you got it from GM it has a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty. You can just take it to a dealer and they have to remove and repair it.

6. KyleZ71

Was a junk yard tcase with low milage. Should've bought a rebuilt