1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Pan

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by elishaman, May 3, 2010.

1. elishaman

elishaman New Member

I have a 2007 Silverado 2500HD that I pull a travel trailer with and would like to install a transmission pan with extra capacity. I have looked at several but I would appreciate any input from Silverado owners. B&m seems to be the only one that will fit because of the smaller height of the pan at the rear. Derale makes a nice looking pan but not sure if it will fit. Also what is your felling about Mobil 1 atf?
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Mobil 1 makes a great synthetic atf. And a deeper tranny pan will really help your tranny operate cooler and last longer. Id be sure to call the company that your intersted in ordering a pan from to make sure it fits.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

One Transmission Pan you may want to take a look at....is from Mag-HyTec.......IMO they are the Best Transmission Pans on the Market Today,They come with the following,Aluminum Finned,Deep Pan Which hold's 3 to 4 quarts More depending on what Trans you have,303 Stainless Steel Hardware,Magnetic drain plug and O-Ring Gasket,which means you don't need to buy New Gasket went dropping the pan to do a Flush.......I've had their Transmission Pan on my truck for going on 8 years and I also put on their Rear Diff Cover........for me the addition of the these 2 cover's have been the Best Upgrades I've done to my Truck!!

Mag-Hytec Link,
    http://www.mag-hytec.com/transmission.htm
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The B&M and Mag-Hytec are both good pans, I went with the B&M because I got a great deal on it. I found that my 05 Z-71 had a deep pan on it from the factory so the B&M pan was only 1qt. larger than the stock pan, but it is nice having the drain plug in the B&M that the factory pan didnt have. Also I"ve been running the Mobil 1 ATF in all my trucks since 1996 and never any problems. Most of my trucks are lifted with 35" tires and go off-road so the tranny gets a work out and the fluid hangs in there.
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 New Member 1000 Posts

I would invest in synthetic ATF before worrying about adding capacity. Adding capacity helps for certain situations like drag racing and plowing driveways when you beat on the trans for a short time, than can let it cool. Towing puts constant added strain, and heat, on the trans.

The synthetic ATF takes the heat better, it doesn't break down nearly as quickly as Dino ATF when it gets hot.

Synthetic ATF, massive cooler, and a trans temp gauge if your truck doesn't have one. That, combined with some common sense when towing, and you should be fine.
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  6. elishaman

elishaman New Member

THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT. I JUST CHANGED THE FILTER AND FLUID (CASTROIL DEXRON VI) AND ADDAD A TRU-KOOL TRANSMISSION COOLER. i LEFT THE STOCK PAN ON. i JUST RETURNED FROM A TRIP TO THE MOUNTAINS OF EASTERN KY PULLING A 9500 LB 5TH WHEEL CAMPER AND THE TRANSMISSION TEMP NEVER GOT OVER 150 DEGREES.