Transmission Problem '09 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by lfb57, Feb 28, 2010.

1. lfb57

lfb57 New Member

I have an '09 Silverado with the 4 Speed. It has less than 6,000 miles on it. When I backed out of my driveway on the start of a 300 mile trip and put it into drive, the rear end seemed to bind. I thought I had hit some mud and the G80 had kicked in. 300 miles later, I backed out of a parking place, put it in drive and the same thing happened. The next time I put it in reverse, the rpm's hit 2,000+ and there was no movement. After a few more failed tries to get it into reverse, I called On Star and had it towed to a dealer.
    The fluid looks and smells ok and the level seems right, but there was black soot on my fingers after I touched it.

How should I handle the dealer on this one? Should I insist on a new tranny? I'll probably get a remanufactured one. What if he says he want to rebuild it himself? I presume this is a major failure....

Thanks for ideas.

2. Shorty 71

Shorty 71 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Hey thats a total bummer, i'd demand a new tranny!!

3. knickick

knickick New Member

Hi lfb57 . I think you should insist on a new tranny because it will looks cool. :D

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Try for a new tranny, but its really up to Chevy. Sometimes with a low mileage failure like yours Chevy will want the original trans back so they can go through it and see what part/parts failed.

5. DarkCherry

DarkCherry Rockstar

Try for a new truck, screw the transmission. Only 6000 miles and your transmission went bad........what else is going to go wrong. Truck was purchased new I am assuming.

6. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

it is hard to get a new transmission right away from the dealer and it would be a reman (basically everything is new but the case). they replaced mine with about 20k (long story, been discussed a while back) but they said gm doesnt like to replace without tearing down piece by piece. It took like a week of them tearing down calling gm going deaper calling gm etc and finally they replaced it. the service guy basically said they have to convince gm that the cost to tear down and rebuild is more expensive than replacing.