transmission problem

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by silverado1987, Jul 29, 2009.

1. silverado1987

silverado1987 New Member

i have a 95 chevy 2500 it has a 4l80e trans with a 5.7 motor the trans only works forward but the wierd part is no matter what gear i have it in it pull forward even reverse and when in park motor wont rev up like it is still engaged any one know what this could be thank you

2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It sounds like the forward clutch is welded up. If it drives forward in neutral this proves it. Your transmission is toast and needs to be rebuilt.

3. silverado1987

silverado1987 New Member

ya that is what i thought it was any one have one ready to be put in

4. daddytech

daddytech Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I will tell you that except for all the heat shields the 4L60E is much easier to replace than the 700R4 or turbo 350 i have done them all by hand with NO transmission jack and it's no fun having to huff a 300 lb hunk of metal back up into place because at the time you don't have the right tools after one time of actually renting a transmission Jack to do the job, I don't care what it takes to rent one it's worth the expense.

5. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Ditto on using a trans jack. I have used a floor jack before and I paid dearly when the transmission fell off. It snapped the stator support off the front pump and damaged the torque converter. This happened as I was installing a fresh transmission for a friend in his garage. Grrrrrrrrrr:grrrrrr:

6. silverado1987

silverado1987 New Member

ya i can do it no problem i have changed only god knows how many but i would like to get one that i can just take out and switch in a day

7. daddytech

with a transmission jack even doing the swap in dirt I had my last one done completely and pouring in new fluid in right at 30 minutes. another of the reasons i suggested the transmission jack, it makes that much difference. I'd invest in one actually but I drive Chevrolet's only now and would almost never need the thing as long as i keep changing the fluid every 12,000 -14,000 miles and don't drive it like i stole it.

8. daddytech

any lick diagnosing this or did you just get the new one and scrap the other ?