1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

transmission problems in your GM?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by ChevyFan, Jun 5, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Just curious if anyone had any tranny troubles with their GM Truck, SUV or Van?
    new chevy parts www.gmpartsclub.com

2. 93BURB

93BURB Member

The 700R4 in my 87 K1500 pickup was replaced twice during the time my dad and I had it (approximately 60,000 miles. Never been a fan of that tranny...

3. 89suburban350

89suburban350 Rockstar 100 Posts

right here... turbo 350 tranny it leaked.... not gm's fault its my mechanics fault

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

None except when the wife tried backing the old horse trailer up our driveway, and reverse gave out at 197,000 miles. The burb, and trailer got stuck diagonally in the driveway. Luckily with the use of a tree, a log chain, and a come-along we got our driveway back...lol

5. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I had a 92 Olds Cutlass years ago and the tranny exploded for no apparent reason. Left a hole in the side of tranny the size of a football. Man I was P/O'd I wasn't horsing it, just driving along. That cost me $2500. See I'm still P/O'd about that. I'm banging the keys as I'm typing.

6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Relax.....breathe in...count 1...2.......breathe out.

7. slidercoach

slidercoach New Member

95 K1500

My 95 K1500 Suburban has 185K on it and I have unfortunately had to have it rebuilt 3 times. I only had to pay for 2, the third time was under warranty. I bought the truck with 70K, had rebuilds at 108K, 144K and 155K. If I would have known I was going to have this problem, i would have bought a brand new trans at 108K

The truck has the 460le transmission. I have had several people tell me that this tranny is not tough enough for this truck. It has an external cooler.

I really haven't towed that much with the truck, and take pretty good care of the truck.

Other than this, the truck has been strong, engine is fine. The front end hasn't given me any problems. Just your standard wear out items; alternators, water pumps, plugs, wires, etc

8. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I'm looking at tranny problems soon in my 95 1500 suburban. Not sure what transmission is in there but it slips going from a stop to 1st and when it downshifts into first its a loud CLUNK! Not looking forward to replacing it but its coming soon at 187,500. Not even sure if the previous owner ever replaced it.

9. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

ive had plenty of gms in the family, and only two have cam with problems, 1) cousins Lumina with a 4t60e tranny exploded (apparently the o/d extension housing explaoding is very common.) and on my moms van (this thing has been a lemon since day one) they just replaced the friggin carrier! and i mean its a 50 year old woman driving it that just doesnt happen!

10. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Same tranny, same problems in my 87 blazer:no: