1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission questions

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Blue Roan, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Blue Roan

Blue Roan New Member

So I have a '99 K3500 cc/lb w/ a 454/4L80e w/ 211K original miles. Second gear finally gave up in my trans after more than a year of holding together after messing up & then working again after a fluid & filter change. It's now so dead that it acts like a Powerglide w/ overdrive. It revs to 2700 in first gear, then skips to to third gear @ 1000. Thats after another fluid & filter change to try and save it once more. So it's done for. I'm having it rebuilt by a local trans shop that's giving me a 36/36000 warranty for $2500.

My questions are:

A) Does anyone have any experience w/ the Derale 4L80E trans pan? If so, positives/negatives?

B) Does anyone have any experience w/ Royal Purple Max ATF in a 4L80E? Does it work well and is it worth it?

C) Any other recommendations for having my trans rebuilt to last for many more years and another 200K miles?
  2. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

A)Not for sure on the trans pan question, Im sure someone else will field it though...

B)So far my experience with RP ATF has been good. We've put it in a couple of transmissions for customers that wanted it and they've had zero complaints.

Also, I just started using B&M TrickShift ATF in my 4l60 and everything seems to be going well. There is very minimal noise from the tranny (compared to the first 100k miles with regular ATF), the shifts are more smooth than before. I like it.

C) Are you having it built just to factory spec? Upgrading it always helps with the life of transmissions vs going back to stock.
  3. Blue Roan

Blue Roan New Member

The guy says that he's going to install a heavy duty torque converter and use improved over factory components. I've managed to learn a lot about most every component of my truck, but transmissions are still Greek to me.
  4. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

A great way to make a tranny last is to keep its temperatures down. Do you have a factory tranny cooler? How much and often do you tow? And has the fluid ever smelled or looked burnt.
  5. Blue Roan

Blue Roan New Member

Yeah, she's got the factory cooler in the radiator.

As far as towing, the most I've ever pulled w/ her is 9500, give or take a bit. I've only done that once. Normally I only tow about 6-7000 max behind her, Usually an old car or truck on a '70's vintage tandem axle 16' trailer. And then that's only a half dozen times a year at most. Her usual load is a load of 3-4 round bales or 75-100 square bales about 3 days a year.

The fluid was still red and smelled fine @ 200K miles when I changed it the first time. And I'm pretty certain that the previous owner never changed it, as it still had original plugs and wires when I got her @ 131K