1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Removal Tips? 1995 Subrubran

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Breadfan, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Breadfan

Breadfan New Member

Does anyone have any tips for removing the transmission on a 1995 Suburban 1500 4x4 350?

Driveshaft, trans-x case, and trans mount are already out. My trans case cracked in the back part of the trans, just before the trans-x case adapter. So, the transmission, though functional, is dead.

I know the basic steps for removal, crossmember out, disconnect electronics, linkages, disconnect tc, bellhousing bolts, just curious if there are any pit-falls or special tips for these trucks. Also I hadn't looked but how accessible are the top bellhoursing bolts?

Anyway figured someone has probably already done this and just looking for any tips on snags I may hit. Thinking of doing this on Saturday.

Thanks!
  2. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

bolts are not to bad to get to
    Tip: assuming the trans is on a jack let the jack down a littler to pull the trans down for easier access
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I think you about covered it. The one tip I can give you is to take your drive shaft in and have it checked. This is usually the #1 cause of the cracked transmission case!
  4. Breadfan

Breadfan New Member

Thanks for the tips so far!

Yes I second the driveshaft. I had bad ujoints and believe it caused the cracked case. I didn't notice it after doing the ujoints - the truck drove fine for 8,000 miles but then re-developed the vibration which turned out to be the crack. I believe the bad ujoints caused it, but it was too small to notice, and it just got worse until it became very apparent.

I'm still gonna have the shaft rebuilt if I rebuild the trans - cheap insurance and it appears to have roughed up the ujoints anyway.
  5. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Before you drop the transmission, support the rear of the motor with a floor jack or the like. You should be able to catch an edge of the block right where the tranny bolts up. Oh, and you are correct, the top 2 bellhousing bolts will be a major b*tch to get to. Slow and easy wins the race for this task.