1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Replacement

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by rrrandy, Mar 24, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. rrrandy

rrrandy New Member

What year model Chevy interchanges with my 93 1500 4L60E Transmission? I'm understanding no later than 94 due to electronics
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

My 1999 K1500 Burb has a 4L60E trans.
  3. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member 100 Posts

IIRC the 4L60E remained unchanged from 93-96. However, there were several changes made in 97 I believe and I don't think those are able to communicate with the 96 and older PCMs. I'm not 100% certain on that but 93-96 you should be alright.
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This will probably only muddy the water rather than add clarity, but here's what I know and don't know about interchangeability of OBS 4L60E's

'92 or '93, not sure which, 4L60E is introduced. Before this, it was either the 700R4 or 4L60 without all the electronic controls.

'93 to '94 seem to interchange just fine.

'95 is it's own year. Can't remember all the whys, but it seems like it is mostly in the solenoids/valve body. But, I also don't hear of anyone just interchanging valve bodies, so I think there is more to it than just the valve body.

'96 to '98 seem to interchange just fine.

With the switch for OBS to NBS that started in '99 and finished in '00 or '01, the 4L60E was different between OBS and NBS versions. So, when you want to fit a '99+ 4L60E into an OBS truck, you need to make sure it came out of an OBS ('98 and earlier) body style.

So, it seems to me that you first indication ('93 or '94 to go into your '93) was probably the right indication.
  5. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member 100 Posts

93 was the year that the 4L60E was introduced in the trucks. Passenger cars didn't get it till 94. That much I am certain of.
  6. rrrandy

rrrandy New Member

Over read a yahoo.answer by tranny tech that a TCC (torque converter control )sylinoid was added to our lovely 4L in 95 making the old ecm garbage and more electro B S added later......................someone please verify..................Oh! obs vs nbs?
  7. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

That actually clears it up quite well.
  8. 94gmcstepside

94gmcstepside New Member

The first "E" 4L60 was introduced in 1993, this early model was changed in 1995 to include a PWM pump. The solenoid configuration was changed in 1996, and this currently is the way the electronics are configured. The Late 4L60-E was released in 1997 and fully phased into wide use through GM by 1998 in both RWD car platforms and trucks in both 2WD and 4WD configurations The key distinction of the Later 4L60-E (1997-2006) from the Early 4L60-E (1993-1997) or 4L60 (1990-1992) or 700R4 (1982-1989) is the six-bolt "hex" rear output or tailhousing / adapter pattern. The previous versions featured a four-bolt square bolt pattern at the adapter or tailhousing. The removeable bellhousing is also another distinguishing feature from 1997 to present. The bellhousing changed with the new 5.3 engine. The differences are which holes the bellhouse uses to bolt the transmission to the block. The newer 5.3 bellhousing is also deeper and takes the b-85 converter rather than the b -29 torque converter.