1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

transmission shift kits?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by willbradfan, Mar 27, 2010.

1. willbradfan

willbradfan New Member

I have been looking at things I could do to make my transmission shift better and also last longer. What exactly does a shift kit do? Fix the problems that never got fixed by the manufacturer? Also, what kind of shift kit should i get and would a dealer install it? I would like to make my transmission shift better and I have heard something about the corvette servo?

Thanks, Will​
  2. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie New Member

Every manufacturer has different shift kits that have different purposes and operate differently. It depends on the tranny you got and how you use it. Go to the website of a company called TransGo. They make the best shift kits in my opinion. And for your servo question, a corvette servo is supposed to make your tranny shift firmer and more positive and shift at different points than your stock servo. Jet Performance sells an aftermarket servo that does the same thing.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

The term "Shift Kit" is a trade mark of TransGo similar to the word Coke or Kleenex. It's used rather loosely and not all valve body kits are the same. I agree TransGo makes the best valve body kit. The kits are designed to address wear problems in the valve body which cause driveability problems and can set trouble codes. Usually a TransGo kit AND a Corvette Servo will make most street trucks shift too hard. My advice is to do the valve body kit first and drive the truck. You will love how it shifts. If after you do that and you still want a firmer shift the slap in a Corvette Servo. The servo can be added without dropping the pan.
  4. sc99z71

sc99z71 New Member

I absolutely LOVE the way the TransGo shift kit made my truck drive!!!! It is like a totally different ride!
  5. willbradfan

willbradfan New Member

How do i figure out what transmission I have so i can determine which shift kit to get? Are they very hard to install? would a dealer install a shift kit?
  6. sc99z71

sc99z71 New Member

If I'm not mistaken you should have the 4L60E. But find a good reputable tranny shop near you and just tell them what truck you have and they will know your transmission and will know exactly the shift kit you need. The shop I had mine put in did it for $250 total. And he said he never rebuilds a 4L60E without putting the TransGo shift kit in.
  7. offroadaddict

offroadaddict New Member

I'm gonna dig this up from the grave. Locally I can get the Transgo kit for $65, vs the $155 its listed for from Monster Transmissions. I'll probably end up going and picking it up weds/thursday to hopefully solve my 1-2 shift issue. But before that I would like a little insight on how it shifts after wards.. Is it still kinda soft? I understand firm is better for the life of the transmission but I would still like it to be relatively gentle for the ladies :lol:
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  8. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Keep in mind TransGo makes several 4L60E kits. The lower priced one is the "Jr" kit. The most expensive is the tow & go kit.
  9. offroadaddict

offroadaddict New Member

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  10. BigBlueLB756

BigBlueLB756 Member