Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Transmission shifting problems..

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by JRD761, Jul 12, 2010.

1. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2004 Silverado 1500 5.3L V8, Automatic with 78,XXX miles.
    Been having problems with my transmission for about a week now..
    The transmission seems to be shifting weird from second into third.. almost like it takes a while to shift or it might be slipping.

I just changed my transmission fluid and filter about 10,000 miles ago. I had a friend of mine who owns a transmission shop do it.. I'm 100% sure he used the correct fluid and filter, and the level is right where it's suppose to be..

I added some "Lucas Transmission Fluid Stabilizer" to it today, but it didn't seem to help much.

Is there any kind of warranty extension for the transmission on these vehicles? Or does GM pretty much tell their loyal customers that it's normal for a transmission to fail after 78,XXX miles of normal use???

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Have you had the truck scanned for trans codes? I would start there. Your friend at the trans shop should be able to do that.

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X2.. it could just be a sensor or Solinoid.

4. JRD761

JRD761 Rockstar 100 Posts

I haven't, no. His shop is a good 2 hour drive away from me..

Is it something a code reader would pick up? There's no check engine light on right now... I do have another buddy that has a pretty decent code reader.. I know it picked up trans codes for his VW Jetta, so maybe it would for this?

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'd give your other buddy code reader a try. Can't hurt.

6. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Agreed, a cheaper one will not but if it did on the Jetta then hopefully it will since usually the VW is harder to work on anyhow.