1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission shot?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by jumboag, Feb 14, 2010.

1. jumboag

jumboag New Member

I've got a 2005 GMC Yukon XL 4x4 w/ about 70,000 miles. Yesterday I drove from Dallas TX to Austin TX and upon reaching Austin, noticed the truck starting to shift slightly erratically (hopping between 3rd and 4th on hills where it shouldnt be). Several hours later I drove the truck around town and had no trouble.

Today, I headed back to Dallas and made it as far as Waco. Right as I reached Waco, I lost overdrive, then within a couple of minutes the truck wouldnt stay in third on the highway. I exited and let the truck sit for several minutes. It was a bit low on transmission fluid (not critically so, but low enough that I added a quart). I let the truck sit for about an hour then tried it back up. I can get into second gear but as soon as I rev it far enough to jump into third, it crashes back into first.

I left it in Waco and will have it towed to the closest stealership tomorrow when I drive another car back down to it (hopefully it'll be fine where I left it).

I cannot believe that the transmission would be toast at 70,000 miles, but with how it was acting I have trouble believing its anything else.

Anyone have an ideas on how bad this is going to be? $$$
  2. jumboag

jumboag New Member

Oh - not sure it matters, but the truck has the automatic four wheel drive (Stabilitrack/autotrack, whatever it is...) Switches between 2 and 4HI as needed, I can lock it into 4LO when necessary.
  3. Gmcsuvguy

Gmcsuvguy New Member

What gears did you have/not have? Did you have 1st, & 3rd maybe instead of 1 & 2nd? Did you have reverse?
  4. jumboag

jumboag New Member

I had 1st and reverse for sure. I thought I partially had 2nd, but it could have been third.
  5. jumboag

jumboag New Member

stealership called, its shot. Gonna be $3200 to replace it, but the replacement comes with a 3yr/100K warranty.
  6. 1fast1500

1fast1500 New Member

nice i have a similar probley but it was weird how it happens visit my thread (Tranny Touble)
  7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

Tons of transmission probs on here today