Transmission slipping and I need your help please

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by b_burdine, Dec 25, 2009.

1. b_burdine

b_burdine Rockstar 100 Posts

If a transmission slips, does that mean it is completely messed up? If not, what can I do to get it fixed? Would getting a complete transmission fluid flush work? Anything will help!

If my transmission is done what would you all recommend to replace it?

2. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

Cold weather makes alot of tired autos start to slip because the seals get stiff from heat try some seal reconditioner and see if that gets ya down the road another winter

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Did you get it scanned for codes? When a transmission slips it's either because the clutch pack is shot and if so the transmission will need internal work, or, in some cases on electronically controlled transmissions the Pressure control Solenoid is malfunctioning. The trouble codes will tell the tale.

4. sruss

sruss New Member

Both of them are right, but check your fluid level first and look at the color of the fluid. It could need to be changed, it will slip if its low or if the fluid is too old. Try that first, then go for the seal reconditioner, depending on the mileage, you might want to throw some in anyway.

5. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

i think i will have my local shop try that on mine, it slips occasionaly when going into or out of reverse with some throttle applicaiton

6. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

I hate to admit it but i have had some great results using the bottled fixes.I had a 2000 f250 work truck that had a swamp in the rad.brown and stunk i put in antifreeze restore and the dam stuff turned it bright green and no longer stunk! my friend pushed out a head gasket on a buick with a 5.0 sbc.we used some block ceramic that u put in after you flush with clean water and it sealed he is still driving it after 4 months

7. mountaindan

mountaindan New Member

I'm guilty also of using bottled fixes! Try some lucas transmission fix, I was having slipping and hard shifting, dumped a bottle in about a year ago, so far so good.