1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

transmission slipping

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by foxbmx, Mar 18, 2009.

1. foxbmx

foxbmx Member

when my truck is running cold it shifts fine, but once it gets warmed up it will start to slip badly. i already put a new motor gas tank and did all the brakes over so i want to keep this truck going. it causes me to lose alot of power when accellerating, and i want to fix it asap. does anyone have any idea what would cause this?
  2. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

When was the last time the transmission oil and filter were changed?
  3. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

If you have more than 50K miles on the truck, I'd go for a complete flush. Dropping the pan and changing the filter will get about half the old fluid out. Alternately, in lieu of paying $100 for a shop to do it, pop the transmission cooler lines off the radiator (have a bucket ready, there will be a bit of spray) and blow compressed air through the top line. Have the drip pan under the transmission and the bucket on the bottom line. That should get just about all the fluid.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The line pressure in your transmission is electronically controlled. If your transmission is slipping you will have a code stored in memory. Get your truck scanned for codes before wasting your money on filters and fluid. You may have to drop the pan again to fix the problem.