1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Snapped @ 85MPH

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by sallisaw, Sep 9, 2012.

1. sallisaw

sallisaw New Member

Hello Forum, thank you for any thoughts you can share....It is a 1997 Chevy C1500 5.7L, not sure which transmission it has either 4L60, 4L60E or the 4L80.....His story is driving on the I440 running 85MPH he feels the vehicle start to shake and then a loud pop, pulls over parks it....I picked it up after unloading you can see in the pictures what happened to the transmission.....any thoughts on what happened would be appreciated....

Attached Files:

2. Pikey

Pikey Active Member Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

From the line on the torque converter it sure looks like it was rubbing on something for a few minutes. I don't really know what would have caused damage like this. I would only be guessing, but how do the motor and transmounts look? even if the input shaft on the trans went out I would have to say that the torque converter is bolted to the flywheel so that is going to stay in the correct place. So there had to be movement between the motor and trans. That is my .02 cents.