1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Stuck in 4 Low

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by feldy, Jan 19, 2011.

1. feldy

feldy New Member

Alright guys, I am new and this is my first post to this site, any help is much appreciated...Had service 4wd message displayed and all of the lights on the 4wd switch off with truck in 2hi. Started by replacing the 4wd actuator and that did nothing. Took it back to Oreilly's (thankfully they took it back) and bought the Encoder Motor Sensor at Oreilly's part #600-120, looked identical to the original one in the Encoder Motor. Replaced the old sensor with the new thanks to the help of Hollywood's post. When I started my truck the 4lo light was on (was in 2hi before I started the job), so, put it in Neutral and pushed the 4hi button, flashed for a while and the Transfer case made a loud noise (sounded like it was slamming into another gear) and the service 4wd message came back, 4hi light was then illuminated with my transmission still in 4lo gear but the transfer case/four wheel drive is not engaged. I shut it off, started it back up and all the lights were off on the dash 4wd switch, and my transmission is stuck in 4lo gear and can not get it out. I unplugged the battery lastnight with hopes that letting it sit overnight might reset, but it did nothing. Not ruling out that the new encoder motor sensor is bad, but who knows. Any help would be great....Thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 07:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

To clarify, it is a 2006 GMC 1500 z-71
  2. Megasaurus

Megasaurus Member