1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

    The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

    Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission swap

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by John, May 15, 2008.

  1. John

    John New Member

    I have an '81 Silverado. I want to switch from auto. trans. to 4speed standard. This truck came with an auto. trans. My question is: Does anyone know if there is a shifter "knockout" under the carpet of my truck, and the same for a clutch pedal rod? Also, will I need to lengthen/shorten the drive shaft? Thanks........
  2. collinsperformance

    collinsperformance Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

    if i remember correctly there is a plate for the floor shifter and you need the pedal assembly for the clutch arm. i not done the swap on a chevy in awhile but on the Ford the shaft needed to be adjusted. might visit a pick-n-pull or used trruck lot and take some notes or pictures or both.....mike
  3. John

    John New Member


    Thanks Mike, there is a u-pull-you -pay down here. I will try them Sat. A/M. Their site shows a '68 Chevy. not sure that will fit though. Their cross reference books should tell me.

Share This Page