1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Temperature

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by cigar_stub, Mar 14, 2009.

1. cigar_stub

cigar_stub New Member

In addtion to the tripometer I can select to view transmission temperature on my 2008 Silverado with the 5.3 liter 8 cylinder. Just driving down the highway, without towing anything, I saw it at about 199 degrees.

My question is: What is normal and at what temperature should I become concerned? Should I expect higher temperatures when towing my boat, in the summer, uphill?

Thanks for any direction or advice.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2013
  2. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts

I found THIS SITE that has a chart based on the average temp.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Trans temps will usually mirror engine temps (give or take a few deg.) in normal traffic situations.
    During summer towing a boat they will shoot up some. I know your truck has a trans cooler already but addition of an inline auxillary cooler would be a great addition to keep temps as low as possible. Most auto parts stores sell trans coolers for under $100, this is an item that bigger is better so the largest one you can fit in is a good choice.
  4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

Good explanation Tim.
  5. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

Anything under 220 you are fine. My truck runs around 199 towing my trailer. But if I put it in tow haul mode it drops 20 degrees. My Allison has a trans cooler. If you do have heat problems try switching to a good synthetic trans fluid and it will lower the temp a bit.
  6. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts

To add to the mix make sure you use the correct transmission fluid. I'll throw a wrench into the conversation since we're talking about temperature.

A transmission can run too cool!

Many transmissions have a cooler bypass so the transmission fluid bypasses the cooler until the radiator warms up. The reason for this is twofold. First off if the fluid is too cold it wont flow and lubricate properly, and secondly if the fluid is too cold it can't flow through the electronic solenoids fast enough to control line pressure and move the shift valves. Many valves nowadays are PWM controlled. PWM means pulse width modulated. What this boils down to is the pressure control valves are moving in and out at a high rate of speed. If the oil is too cold the transmission will not respond as quickly as it should.

Ideally the ATF should warm up as quickly as possible and then stay within a few degrees of the coolant temperature. Remember the transmission cooler in the radiator is really a heat exchanger.

If you live in a temperate climate all of this really is not important but if you drive in real cold weather then it becomes important. Synthetic oil flows better cold so this is another reason why manufacturers are using synthetic blends.

Jim
  7. cigar_stub

cigar_stub New Member

Thank you all for the comments. I'll be keeping an eye on the temp going forward.
  8. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member

in my 09 2500 if i have no load and am not towing my trans only runs at around 120-140. when i have a load its usually around 200-220. i had mine up to 240 when i was pulling an f-250 <--:lol: to the trans shop. and i know the chevy 2500's that i pull the landscape trailer with at work and plow with, i want to say they run near 250. needless to say the work truck i ride pretty hard, especially since it's not mine and we have a full time mechanic if anything goes wrong.
  9. kcb37

kcb37 New Member

I would agree your not hot yet. Even at 220 your still good. You really don't want to get over 250.
    If you pull a lot of weight most of the time then another cooler would be good, but if your at like 150 you have to much cooling.
    One more thought, 200 is a good temp to have the trans at just driving around. A little over towing is not bad.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  10. setter g

setter g New Member

Was the trans temp monitor an option or standard on your 2008?