1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Temperature

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by at4rxj, Jun 4, 2010.

1. at4rxj

at4rxj New Member

I have a 2010 Silverado, 5.3 and 4x4 with the 6spd auto. I towed my boat this weekend through some of the Hill Country in TX (outside temp in 90's) and my trans temp went up to 205. How high is acceptable before I need to start worrying? On the highway where it was flatter it stayed down around 180. I had on the tow/haul mode, and was taking it relatively easy. The boat/trailer weighs under 6,000 lbs. which I wouldn't think is "pushing it" for this truck.

Thanks in advance!

2. Farmerdave

Farmerdave Rockstar 100 Posts

220 is what I read!

3. Trenton

Trenton New Member

[​IMG]
    Hope this helps its kinda general but i think its a good guideline

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Once your truck is warmed up and running down the road your fluid temperature will be close to the temperature of the coolant in your radiator. If you have an external cooler the extra cooler will lower this temperature about 10 -20 degrees cooler.
    So in a perfect condition just cruising in lock-up 180 - 220 is normal.
    All the heat from your transmission comes from your torque converter. Towing causes your converter to make more heat so when towing the temperature goes up accordingly. A good synthetic fluid can operate at 250 -275 degrees with no problems at all. Once any fluid gets above 280 for any length on time it's a good idea to change it.
    Those fancy charts you see are not real technical. They are designed to sell transmission coolers.

5. at4rxj

at4rxj New Member

Thanks for the replies!

6. at4rxj

at4rxj New Member

Are there any aftermarket transmission pans that have fins to help keep it a little cooler? Would that be worth installing?

7. novaman64

novaman64 Member

I dont have a guage to check if it effects fluid temps at all... But B&M makes a aluminum tranny pan with fins and a drain plug which is nice because you dont need to replace the gasket to do a quick oil change.... It also holds 3 extra quarts of fluid...