1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission/transfer case issue

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by GoNPlacz, Apr 8, 2011.

1. GoNPlacz

GoNPlacz New Member

I noticed the other day my transmission would not shift beyond second gear while the transfer case is pulled into low range. It shifts through all the gears without issue when the T-case is in hi range and pulls strong with no noticeable slipping.
    Can anyone help me trouble shoot?
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Many of the newer trucks are programmed that way. Not sure why....
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 what 2COR517 said, programmed from factory, its programmed so you don't tear up anything. Low gear is for very slow off-road speed and pulling. If you need to go faster just use the 4HI button.
  4. 2wheelmudder

2wheelmudder Rockstar 100 Posts

agreed with silveradotrailblazer, you should not be really do anything more than pulling out something or gettin out of a stuck in 4 low it will easily tear stuff up if you try to do road speeds
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I forgot, welcome to the club.
  6. GoNPlacz

GoNPlacz New Member

Thanks for the support.
    Do you think a '94 4L60E would use the "newer programing"?
    Seems like several years ago while on the Outer Banks the trans would go through to 3rd gear but it's been a while and I don't use low range much anymore so I could be wrong. I hope that is the case.
    Thanks again.