1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission & Transfer Case Removal?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by corvetteman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

92 Suburban 2500, 7.4, 4x4, How much work is it to remove the transfer case & transmission? I need to have the transmission overhauled do to no reverse and no 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gear. Has anyone here done it? Pictures? Thanks
  2. Joeairforce

Joeairforce New Member

It's not that hard if you have a trans jack...... Yeah I've done it numerous times (the R&R part anyway)..... Search for some of my threads and you can see the pics I took when I did it....
  3. wbmartin3

wbmartin3 New Member

I did it on a 2001 Lexus RX300 and it was a bear, but we couldn't get it to lower straight down and did it in my driveway. If you have a shop and sufficient jacks, it's likely doable. A trans jack would definitely be helpful. Just make certain that it's worth your time (vs. having a shop do it).

I didn't do the actual rebuild, but took it to a shop and let them do that. They took apart the entire transmission in front of me so that I could see what parts were ruined though I might have liked to have tried that part (if I only had more room in my cramped garage).

Good luck!
  4. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

I’m finally tackling this job. I was fortune enough to pick up a mileage certified (18,000 miles) GM Goodwrench rebuilt transmission dirt cheap.

I started working on it today and have found it so far to be a PITA. All I have accomplished is removing both drive shafts and removing the pan to drain the fluid.

My question is how heavy is the transfer case?

The reason I ask is I don’t have the tool to remove the torsion bars so I can get the torsion bar cross member out of the way to drop the transfer case. It looks like if I took the end off a C clamp I might be able to use it to release the pressure on the torsion bars?

Is it possible to just push the transfer case up and over it the cross member?
  5. corvetteman

corvetteman New Member

Do we have no members on this fourm? ANYONE???
  6. Indianjoe

Indianjoe New Member

No need to mess with the torsion bars. The Case will come out. I just removed mine, I was thinking the same thing.
  7. 84fiero123

84fiero123 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Sorry I was in a phone both changing.

No it is not, the cross member has to come out to remove the transfer case.

Steve