1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Transmission trouble early...

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Barnettamb, Feb 23, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

I have an 07 silverado reg cab with the 4.3 L and the 4 speed transmission. it has 71000 miles. yesterday i was driving just normally up a hill by my house. when it hit 2nd gear it just went BOOOM and rocked the whole truck. Drive and 3rd gear dont work but 1st and 2nd and reverse still work. I took it to the shop and they say i need a new transmission..... why did this happen so early? im a big chevy fan but this should not have happened.
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Acouple questions.
    1. Do you tow?
    2. Do you have a tranny cooler?
    3. What is your driving style
  3. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

I do tow, but very rarely. once or twice a year i bring my bass boat home and back to the lake about 75 miles.
    however i do have a couple hundred pounds in the bed a couple times a month.
    im not sure about the tranny cooler but my guess is no unless it came with it.
    most of the time i drive it very easily. its rarely off road. occasionally if im in a hurry i can drive a little fast. but most of the time its driven easily to save on gas.
  4. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

Barnettamb,

I apologize for the inconvenience this issue has caused you. Has this been diagnosed by a Certified GM Dealer? Please keep us posted and I hope this is resolved quickly.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance (Assisting Evan)
  5. Barnettamb

Barnettamb New Member

Yes i did get it fixed. I took it to the local transmission shop. They have changed a transmission for my dad in the past and did a great job. They put in a new (rebuilt) tranny for me and everything seems to be running fine now. From what I understand, and I probably don't understand much about it, the tranny fluid was low which caused an aluminum part inside the tranny to break up. They put a stainless steal version of that same part in the new one so it should not happen again. You can bet that I will be checking my tranny fluid frequently from now on....