Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Transmission Went BOOM!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Huntr, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

1997 K1500 Suburban

Something is not quite right here...
    Transmission Blew Up 2.JPG
    Picture taken with cell phone from passenger side. Rear of transmission, before the transfer case.
    Anybody have any thoughts on what would cause the failure?

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

DAMN ! How many miles on the trans?

3. Huntr

Huntr Rockstar

Only about 350 since a rebuild. Guy that did the rebuild is gonna come get it tomorrow to figure out what the heck happened.

4. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That is crazy! Sorry I have no clue! But thanks for the pic! Sorry bout your luck!

5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

HOLY F%@#.....:gasp:......Sorry to see something like that.....Good Luck.

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

When they fail it usually isnt that catastophic, be interesting to hear what went wrong.

7. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

The last one that I saw that was that bad, no one could determine what went wrong. The best guess was that something caused it to try & select two gears at once, or that there had been a small piece that broke off & wedged between two gears at once causing failure, but nobody ever knew for sure.....

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

d@mn! sorry to hear (and see) that.

9. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Ouch!
    Looks like something just broke off inside and tore through the case, not unlike snapping a rod off in an engine and punching it through the block.

10. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I had to guess where on the transmission that picture was taken, I'd have to guess that's where the transfer case bolts onto the tailshaft extension housing. I have no idea how there would be that much stress on that part unless you got the whole truck stuck on a rock right around where the hole is. There shouldn't be any torsional force in that region to cause the case to get stressed and fail like that. The good news is that a replacement tailshaft housing should be pretty easy to find in a junkyard, shouldn't cost a ton, and should be pretty easy to remove and replace. The big question is what caused all the stress at that part to cause it to happen.