1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Travel Trailers: I've got the 2-foot-itis. :-) Been looking at trailers this weeke

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by ChevyFan, May 27, 2013.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

So we started out tent camping and now with a growing family that stinks. Can't do that anymore. So we though, "Hey, let's stick close to nature and get a tent trailer..." yeah, that lasted for about 5 minutes in a tent trailer considering it was parked next to a fiberglass-shell dual-slide image of RV excellence.

So, we're then got to thinking that we could make due with about a 18-20 foot trailer with a couple of really good slides ... then we went to a large RV dealer and go to jump in and out of about 50 different types and sizes.

Pretty sure that we're at the point now where I think we're looking at taking down a tree on the side of the yard now so we can get a trailer around the 26-foot range parked on the side of the house. Something with a couple of slides and it's going to have to have some bunks in there to give us the room that we need.

Walked into one of these bad boys today, very nice. Going to start to think about how many trips we can in a year and if we should get something used like 5-years or get new. Don't have a timeline, but we're pretty much ready to start the process.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere 272BH.
    (1)13.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqWsosJYrMs

Bunch of photos of the 272BH: http://www.savingsrangerrv.com/New-...ravel-Trailer-Salem-Hemisphere-272BH---345181

So, I started looking at 10-foot tent trailers, moved to 16 to 18-foot trailers, then 22 then 24 and now 26-28-footers. Yep, I've got the 2-foot-itis.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Better start looking at a truck to tow with, I dont think the Traverse will do very well with a 20+' trailer hooked behind it.
    Thats a nice trailer, almost the same floor plan our Hybrid had.
    I'd love another trailer but found on our Hybrid it wont get used enough to justify owning, in 18 months we used it twice. The only good luck I had was that I bought an almost new repo and got a good price, didnt stop me from taking a big loss when I sold it though.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That is a sweet one I have seen them at the Rv shows...

4. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yeah, thinking that the wife can take over driving the Traverse fulltime and I'll get maybe a 2007-2009 Silvy 1500 to be my daily driver/tow vehicle. One of the reasons that I originally looked at the ultralights was because I could pull it with the Traverse, but hey, what can I say? :)

5. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

6. ChevyFan

7. Jaele

Jaele Rockstar 100 Posts

haha that is funny i was just browsing campinglife.

My wife and I were looking into those before we purchased our first trailer. She was hung up on the bathrooms(when they had them) they were not private enough for her. I like the hybrid ideal of the travel/tent trailer.

8. steved

steved Former Member

If you're going to be buying a new TV, skip the 1500 and go with a 2500...with a camper in that weight range, you will not regret it.

9. ChevyFan

Yeah, I have driven both the 2500 and the 3500 Silverados before, but I'm just not sure that I can justify getting that as I really will only need it a few weeks per year. Most of the time I'll be driving around town. Hard to justify a full-time daily driver Silverado 2500 HD when I'm driving to do a web marketing and design pitch to a company. hahah

This is going to be a tough decision. I spent some time looking at all of the ultralights and with the proper configuration in a 20 to 22-foot trailer, we might be fine and easily be under the 5000-lb mark when fully loaded. PLUS, I LOVE MY TRAVERSE! I just wish that they would offer a Traverse HD model for people who want all of the practical aspects of the Traverse but who need to tow maybe up to about 6000-lbs a few times each year.

I know that's going to take some engineering, but I don't just want to put on a receiver and call it good. I think that if I keep the Traverse I'll go ahead and upgrade to get all of the factory OEM towing package stuff. From the factory it's the V92 tow package, which only has the towing hitch and some type of engine cooling system. I'm getting them priced out right now.

10. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is the key reason I don't have a trailer. There are times I want one but I just can't justify one for 2-3 uses per year. For the kind of money a nice one would cost (even used), I can take several nice (driving) trips each year and just stay in a swanky hotel and still come out way ahead.

Last edited: May 28, 2013