1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Travel Trailers: I've got the 2-foot-itis. :-) Been looking at trailers this weeke

Discussion in 'Towing & Trailer Tech' started by ChevyFan, May 27, 2013.

1. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I have a forest river... really like it. I went with the 20 model... toyhauler. I wasn't looking for anything fancy... when I'm camping I don't want to be sitting it...:). The nice thing about the toyhauler with the open floor plan it can be used for more than just camping.

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan November Beard Grower - Cancer Fighter Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Well, let's see some photos of your trailer on this thread: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/124118

3. TimTom64b

TimTom64b Member 2 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner Gold Member

I created an album with some pics. Don't mind that it's a little dirty on the inside... we just got back from camping this past holiday weekend.

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I know what you feel Steve. I started out and went straight for a 32 footer with a slide-out. I like it a lot though I'm already perusing manufacturer sites for a 32 footer with 2 or 3 slide-outs and a floor plan I like. Don't have money for a new one, but I can certainly look! :lol:

5. steved

steved Former Member

Some of us don't want to stay in a hotel, but actually like to stay in the woods. Its not about the location, its about the experience...

I agree, you "can" save money by not buying a camper if you rarely travel; but you can also save a lot of money having one also...I'm saving over $1200 in hotels costs on a single, week-long trip to Maine this summer, that's a lot of lobster.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Absolutely no argument from me, on this. If I traveled a lot I'd own one. I'd probably also run into what Steve's running into -- as I like the big, fancy ones and it's very easy to go from something that serves its purpose and is livable to something that is a hotel in its own right. Spendy, too. :)

7. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

You can't pencil out a travel trailer. You buy one because you want one. It's just like trying to justify the purchase of a Silverado when you don't tow or haul. You buy one because you want one.

8. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

Believe me, when you have a need for TT for something other than camping, it comes in real handy. I live in Springfield, Oregon, but work outside of Portland, Oregon. During my work week I stay in the TT in an RV park, then go home on the weekends. It's still cheaper than getting an apartment. Mine is an '01 Forest River bunkhouse model with no slideouts, but it is more than enough to provide me with a place to sleep, eat, and then go back to work.

If the family wants to go camping, I drive the truck up to Portland and tow the trailer home down I-5. It's easy towing, but eats a lot of gas for an old K2500 like mine.

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Nice
    Trailers now come with those AERO fronts??
    Better FE??
    Smart
    But I haven't seen any yet with those built on aero fronts?
    Nice
    certainly beats sleeping in a 1998 Suburban(which is actually pretty comfortable for sleeping at rest stops -but not like that-and no complainers other than the greyhound and wife-and she is the cheapskate that insists we skip cheap motels)
    Charlie

10. CKNSLS

CKNSLS Member 100 Posts

The "AERO" fronts provide little if any benefit for fuel mpg. The real benefit they have is for ease of towing. In a traditional style travel trailer the winds pull at the front corners-makes the trailer move around on the hitch more-thus the tow vehicle moves around a little too. The "AERO" design makes the tow smoother. Some have reported a 1/2 mile per gallon difference. However, I don't know if you can accurately measure that small of an amount.

The trailer is a 3,000 to 8,000 pound box on wheels-you will get between 10 and 13 mpg towing with the 5.3 without any significant head winds. There is nothing you can do design wise to help that much.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi!
    Towing mpg doesn't get any better if you have a new truck! It (the trailer) is a box on wheels. What can you expect?