Trial run on new web server

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by ChevyFan, Jul 18, 2007.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

If I can get my kiddo to sleep in the next 30 minutes, I'll see if I can at get the database moved to the new web server, etc. There's more to it that just that, but we're not all that far away from going live with the new server. Maybe 4-5 hours of work to do.

2. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

we running on the new server yet?

3. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Excellent. Keep us posted!

4. ChevyFan

Not yet, I've got literally like 30 free minutes each day to work on this stuff...I've got all of the files moved over, but I'm having an issue with getting proper permissions for the database. You can check the progress on www.thechevytruckclub.com actually. :) Notice the database error? That's becuase there isn't one hooked up yet.

No time to work on it today either, going to the waterpark. Maybe if it rains...during nap time for the boy....

5. terry0341

terry0341 Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

You are doing the right thing!

:) Steve, all to often we get caught up thinking we have to reach our goals without delay, it is nice and refreshing to see that your family comes first! There is always time to do this stuff later, right now is the most important time with your kids. Great job, and enjoy your family!

6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Excellent point! :great:

7. ChevyFan

Aparently, my Virtual Server (GoDaddy) will not configure php and the database properly (it's a known issue) so I can't get things running properly! Have to find either another more powerful host or a different company to run the server. :-(

8. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Don't make me build a server for you too. :wink:

9. ChevyFan

I may have to find a Linux server, which is ok I guess, but I like to be able to remote into the machine. For now I'll just have to cancel my GoDaddy account and try again with a new server. At least everything is packed and ready to move, just have to find a new place to move it.

10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've used godaddy.com for years. The only problem I had with them was the PHP config, for the database, much like yourself. They switched my server over to Linux for free. No problems since then. Since the coding is pretty much universal for either windows server, or Linux server the transition was seamless with the exception of downtime to move everything over to Linux server. I think total downtime was about 2 hours. But I didn't really keep track to be honest.

It's been smooth sailing since then. In fact, I setup a site for my daughter and went linux from the start just because she wanted a chat room, and a blog. I didn't want the trouble of trying to work around the database issue for php.

On a different note, we're gonna party like it's 1999....Oooh that's bad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007