1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trip A / Trip B / Odometer Reading (2005 K2500 Suburban)

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by nvestysly, Jan 26, 2014.

1. nvestysly

nvestysly New Member

I'm posting this in the general tech questions since it may apply to other vehicles.

I recently purchased a used 2005 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban. Trip A seems to have been used for around the town trips, to check fuel mileage, etc. The problem comes with Trip B vs. the odometer reading. Trip B shows approximately 137,000 yet the odometer only reads 86,000. How is it possible that Trip B reads more than the odometer?

The 86,000 odometer reading corresponds to Carfax. The major service work for the vehicle was performed at a Chevrolet dealer and I think that feeds into Carfax. I also believe the seller to be an honest person. But I don't understand how Trip B can be higher than the odometer. Even if you never reset Trip B it should read the same as the odometer.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your comments.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been looking around on other car forums and several people have asked a similar question to mine. Most of them have subsequently determined there is a decimal place (for tenths of a mile) on the trip meter but not on the odometer. That doesn't seem to be true with mine although I could certainly be wrong. I looked closely at the Trip A and Trip B readout and I don't see a decimal point.

Am I overlooking something?
  2. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Did you check the odometer and trip B against the mile posts along the highway to see if they both measure an actual mile. Do each one separate and see what you get. On my 06 there is a decimal for the trip but not the odometer.
  3. nvestysly

nvestysly New Member

Thanks for the reply. Even though I don't see a decimal point on the trip meter maybe it's there - I'll check it as I drive to see what's happening.
  4. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

I don't know where the mileage data is stored or if it is other than the cluster but it can't be easy to tamper with it nowadays you would think. I've read on here where people have had to change clusters and end up with different miles all together than what was on it before it went out. Don't know if new ones can be set to what it was reading before.
  5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Hello. I have same question as you. Just bought same truck 2500 XL with 42000 on odometer and trip a/b read 49k. Did you figure out what was happening to you?