Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trouble Starting 4.8 Liter Fuel Delivery Problem? Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by MikeGEE, Apr 17, 2011.

1. MikeGEE

MikeGEE New Member

HI ALL!

I have a 2000 Silverado 4.8 Liter v8 manual transmission with 103,000 miles. Back in October, I replaced the fuel pump. I replaced it in an effort to save over 500 dollars from the mechanic. I bought the pump from Napa instead of Carquest (AC Delco parts) in an effort to save an additional 150 dollars. I also replaced the fuel filter just prior to installing the fuel pump. At the time I also replaced the spark plugs, and gapped them properly before installation. I did not replace the spark plug wires. In addition I replaced the battery and the front 2 O2 sensors.

What's happening now, which has been going on for about the last 2 months. Every morning, it fires up like a brand new truck. I drive about 4 miles to work, and by noon it doesn't want to start. It will turnover, but the fuel delivery is not there. It takes about 10 seconds for the engine to turn over.

What I've done so far, I bought a fuel pressure gauge and it reads 58psi w/ the key turned and the engine off, and once started it sits at 50psi consistently. I looked through the threads and couldn't find a similar problem, but if anyone can provide some insight - I sure would appreciate it!!!
  2. MikeGEE

MikeGEE New Member

I FOUND IT! There's a similar post by Scoper50 - "Trouble Starting" - I checked the vacuum line on the fuel pressure regulator and sure enough, about a teaspoon of fuel dripped out. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and in the process split the rubber connect on the vacuum line!!! BUT the problem is solved. Just have to shell out 26 dollars for a rubber hose that's an inch long on a 45 degree angle!