1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Trouble with a CAI

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jjjg_02, Jan 5, 2010.

1. jjjg_02

jjjg_02 New Member

so today i flushed out my coolant system and changed my antifreeze and put on a cold air intake, i also took the honey comb out of the MAF and was carefull not to disturb the wires. so when i fire the truck up the check engine light comes on and it has like a hanging idle now. when your driving it and come to a stop light or something its stay at like a 1000 rpms and when you come to a complete stop you get a hard down shift and and the rpms drop off to about 500 or so. when the truck is in nuetral and you rev it up it takes a long time for the idle to come back down. its an 05 silverado with the 5.3 andbody have any ideas. would water in the TB or something like that cause this?
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

buy some MAF cleaner and give that a shot. I went on a long trip at Christmas and long story short didn't have enough time for my filter to dry before leaving. Kinda did the same thing with the idle. Cleaned the MAF the next day and seemed to fix it. When I left I could tell the filter hadn't dried enough when the first hill I hit the truck was guttless. Dried out on the 500 miles I did that day.
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

You shouldnt remove the screens from the MAF. They are there to straighten out the air because the truck intakes weather stock or factory have so many turns. The Corvettes and the last model Cameros didnt have them because they had smooth intake boxes from the factory. Unless you have a highly modified engine keep the MAF screen intact. Alot of people think the screen is there to keep debris out but its to smooth and straighten the air.
  4. jjjg_02

jjjg_02 New Member

well i took it back apart and cleaned the TB and pulled the MAF got some cleaner let it dry and all and put it back together and it has seemed to fix the problem, thanks
  5. jjjg_02

jjjg_02 New Member

like i said seemed to fix the problem went out this morning and it did the same thing so i took it to the auto craft shop on post and had them scan it and it was the MAF so i cost my self a 110 bucks by getting the MAF wet when i changed the intake and flushed the radiator
  6. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

OUCH. well if thats the most costly mistake you make this year your in good shape..live and learn
  7. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Did you leave the screen in the new MAF??
  8. jjjg_02

jjjg_02 New Member

yea hopefully that is the mosy exspensive this year the bad part is i knew it when i did just thought i could get away with it