1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

troubles with a 98 diesel motor starting/running

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by renegaderider, Apr 17, 2010.

1. renegaderider

renegaderider New Member

i own a 98 2 door Tahoe with the 6.5 liter diesel motor. i replaced the entire fuel system except the injectors and injector pump. it runs when it wants to basically when it does occasionally start it will run for a minute or 2 then stall, then sometimes it will start right back up again after trying or it wont and when it does sometimes it will stall again or it will run fine. or it will start without a glitch and never stall, or it wont start at all. has anyone every heard of this problem before or know of a solution thanks.
  2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you've already replaced the fuel filter and are sure you dont have water in the tank or lines then the next step is to look at the injector pump.
    The pump should be pressure tested and checked to make sure the diaphram isnt leaking.
    When they get old and start rotting they have a habit of leakind and injecting air through the injectors instead of Diesel.
  3. renegaderider

renegaderider New Member

if the diaphragm is leaking wouldnt it leave a puddle or is it in a sealed unit ? and how could i pressure test it or would i have to bring it to a dealer? and the whole fuel system is all brand new the guy that owned it before me had algea growth problems so i replaced everything new to get rid of it all
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you've got the right tools it could be tested in the driveway, the diaphram will leak internally and allow air to suck in and be injected into the injectors and not suck fuel from the tank.
  5. renegaderider

renegaderider New Member

great thanks for the info