1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Troubleshooting- A Few Scan Codes...

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Fraterado1855, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

All,

Wasn't able to scan but found some faulty wiring and blown fuses, now I've got the following:

Print out:
    P0300
    P0161
    P0141
    Read but unable to print:
    P0061
    P0286
    P0281

Looks like a root cause for many of these is a poor oxygen sensor, which I have 4 of. Is there any way to troubleshoot which sensor, or am I about to go drop $65 a pop on 4 new Bosch O2 sensors?

Let me know what you think. I'm currently working on a flush of the transmission system.

FYI (Moderators): I'm new to the site so if this should go in a different thread/section, please move or advise.

Thanks
    TJ

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

TJ......Hope some of the Below Infor. can help you out??

......Code P0300.......is a Random Misfire
    ......Code P0141.......Is an Issue/Problem with the 02 on Bank 1 Sensor 2, Which is on the Driver Side, after the Catalytic Converter.
    ......Code P0161.......
    Is an Issue/Problem with the 02 on Bank 2 Sensor 2, which is on the Passenger Side, after the Catalytic Converter.

Edit....****Moved Thread to General Tech Q&A Section****

Last edited: Jun 16, 2012
  3. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Both of the O2 sensor codes are for the post cat sensors, which really have no effect on driveability. The post cat sensors' sole purpose is to determine if the cats are functioning adequately.

If the cats are plugged, that could cause problems.

P0300 can be caused by just about anything that can cause a misfire, including, but not limited to fuel delivery issues, spark plug/ignition issues, compression/valve train/mechanical condition issues, and so on.

My code list doesn't go below P0100, and shows P0286 as a problem on cylinder 9, so I'm not sure what to make of those codes, P0281 is a problem with cylinder 7 (similar to the P0300 code except specific to cylinder 7).

At this point, I'm not sure the codes by themselves are helping us a lot. I might put a vacuum gauge on it to see if clogged cats are indicated by the cat codes. What kind of driveability symptoms/problem are you diagnosing?

4. Fraterado1855

Fraterado1855 New Member

I just finally fixed the OBD II diagnostic port plug and wanted to try and get everything in working order. The track stumbles at start-up (worsens with higher outdoor temperature) and I figured since I now know the codes I should do something about them.

I originally started this weekend to do some transmission work due to late shifts, which has turned out to be a bit rough.. I'll make a separate post on that.