Truck bed bike rack: custom ideas needed

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by mspa, Aug 1, 2009.

1. mspa

mspa Rockstar

I have a 09 Silverado and there isn't a lip at the top inside of the bed, so I'm trying to figure out how I can secure the 2x4 cross piece without bolting to the bed permanently. Any ideas?

2. Darknesss23

Darknesss23 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

can you get pictures of the non-existent lip and where you would like to put this 2x4 cross piece?

3. mspa

mspa Rockstar

Thanks for the reply. And the reminder . . . I built a bike rack out of 2x4 pine, with two hinged A-pillar type supports to fit under the lip on the top of the bed, and bolted in two Delta Bike Hitch Pro fork mounting blocks. These are really sweet. I bought bolts with locking nuts and nylon washers. Took on my last camping trip and it worked like a charm. Except for the tire innertube that I cut and glued to the ends of the rack for a tight fit. I used a glue made for wood, rubber, metal, etc. but when I pulled the rack out, the main ones on the horizontal piece tore. I have to find a better solution. But I used Thompson's Water Seal to waterproof the wood.

Here's some pics. If you have any ideas on what to place on the ends that is about 1/16" thick, let me know.

[​IMG]

4. mspa

mspa Rockstar

That last picture looks a bit wonky, but it is level. Just the angle of the camera . . . here's some close up shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mspa

mspa Rockstar

6. Darknesss23

ON those A-pillar verticle sections... is that leaning up against that plastic cap for the GM rail system? like the tree showing on the rear of the cab side of the bed?

7. mspa

mspa Rockstar

I hope I'm understanding your question. Here goes . . .

My bed has a sprayed in liner. Even without that, the metal does form a slight lip. When I realized I had about 1/8" of lip, I realized it would be enough to use. I have a piece of inner tube glued from the top of the A-pillar, down the side. Basically on parts of the wood that push against the bed, side and top. I should get better pictures. There is enough movement on the hinge that I can "pop" the pillars in from the final vertical 90 degree position. Once in place the rack will not move. Of course, this is dependent on cutting everything the correct size and allowing room for whatever rubber type material you use.

8. Darknesss23

In your first, second, and last picture, in the bed itself are those oval inserts used for the GM Cargo Management Rail System... THose black oval caps pop out... you could use those in some way... also unless I'm wrong those verticle sections of your bike rack are leaning right against one of those oval caps...

9. vin_bom

vin_bom New Member

PVC Bike Rack

I am putting the finishing touches on a PVC Bike Rack that fits in the bed. I will post pictures when it is complete. It will hold four bikes standing upright with the wheels on! Cost less than $30 to build.

10. mspa

mspa Rockstar

Those caps do pop off, but there aren't any close to where the A-pillar supporters touch. So no worries there.