1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck Bed Liner...Spray or Roll... opinions and input needed!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by GatorFan6908, Nov 2, 2010.

1. GatorFan6908

GatorFan6908 Member

Alright... so I am looking to get bed liner installed in my Silverado. After pricing around it will be nothing cheaper than 400 dollars to be completed professionally. My next option is for Do it Yourself... which seems extremely more logical. I have done minor work with fiberglass, resin, etc... so I think I have a general idea of how it is done.
    If there are any of you that have any input or tips and tricks... please let me know. I am thinking of going with Herculiner, any haters? Thanks for all of the help guys!:great:
  2. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

There are certain things that i leave to the professionals and my LINE X liner was one of them,not just for the workmanship but the coating they use is second to none.
  3. GatorFan6908

GatorFan6908 Member

I definitely agree... just 450 dollars will take me a while to save. Have a lot of other mods I want to make... weighing the importance between them will be tough!
  4. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I understand your desire to save a bit of cash but personally, I would have it done professionally. If, however, you want to give it a shot, I would recommend testing and perfecting your skills elsewhere first. Maybe try your wheel wells, for example. That way you can at least get a decent idea as to how much you need to roll/spray on for each coat and stuff like that.

Also, one thing that my Parts and Services manager mentioned to me when talking about spray in bed liners was to be careful about where the bottom of the tailgate meets the end of the bed. He said that a lot of times it gets overdone on the inside of the tailgate so that when you try to close the tailgate, there isn't enough room for it to open and close normally. As a result, it ends up tearing up the handle mechanism because of constant pressure when it is forced closed.

I realize that my description may be hard to understand so I drew this up real quick to show you what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

All I'm saying is be careful in the area that I boxed in with red. Specifically where the arrow is pointing. If you over-do it there, you'll end up having a hard time closing the tailgate properly.
    1 person likes this.
  5. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

I've never seen a bad Line X job. They just seem to hold up!

Any DIY means paying attention to the prep. Cleaning and scuffing the finish are probably more important than the DIY product you use.

Having used POR15 products, if I was going to do a DIY lining, I'd opt for their two part product that comes w/ it's own spray gun. The kit is around $150.00 but you need to add in their cleaner & prep so you would be closer to $200.

You still have to prep properly, I'd bet a good part of the cost of a Line X job is the time it takes to prep and clean.
  6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Do yourself a favour and save up your money to have it professionally done.........you will be glad you did.The price for my LINE X liner was $700.00 up here in Canada so compared to that $450.00 is peanuts.
  7. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

My vote is for Line X! Great great quality. They do the side rails perfect and my dad has had no problems on his. i had a drop in bed liner in my 94 which I liked because it was more slick so I could slide things around easier but that could also be a bad thing if you want your cargo to stay put. All I know is nothing has been to hard a job for our Line X liner!
  8. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

I agree the spray on, or roll, on liner is going to be better all around. Like Ntbush I have the drop in plastic liner & everything has to be tied down if you don't want it sliding around & slamming into the front, back, & sides of the bed. Rubber tires won't even stay put. It's a total P.I.T.A.!!
    Why don't you guys like the "roll on" do it yourself kits? They look pretty easy & not as much mess as spraying. It seems it would save you a lot of $$$$.. Like already mentioned, it's all in the prep & scuffing the paint, the rest is easy..
  9. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Bed liner was the first thing I did. I looked at both Line X and Rhino Linings (top leading competitors), i really wanted line x, howeveropt for rhino because I didn't want to drive 60 miles to get Line X. Rhino has held up good and I'm happy with it. I did have one issue with it peeling up on the backside of the bed behind the cab, took it to rhino and they re lined the whole section and still looks good. So, keep that in mind as well, getting it professionally done you've got a warranty. I think they are lifetime with rhino and line x. my two cents.
  10. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well for me I know I liked the spray on because of the quailty they can do on the rails. The side bed rails get banged up a lot but are still visible to others while driving so I like it to look nice and professional but still be very strong.