Truck broke :(

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by 2k8z71, Sep 11, 2012.

1. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

So I went to Utah this past week for vacation. Drove 740 miles there, drove all over the place and drove most of the way back. Got past the state line where California and Nevada meet, and made it another 103 miles when my truck broke down. Sat on the side of the road until the tow truck showed up and had to be towed to Victorville. Dropped the truck off at the dealership around midnight and went to a hotel. Showed up at the dealer and told them what happened and they took my truck off to get a diagnosis. They came back and told me that a valve spring on the number 5 cylinder went to lunch. Took them about an hour to replace it and was covered under warranty. I also had found out that I coulda recieved a free tow to a dealership instead of using insurance under warranty. So GM is gonna reimburse me the $180 I had to pay for the mileage that wasn't covered under insurance.

Anyways, I got the truck fixed and runs fine now. Has anyone else ever had a valve spring break on their nnbs?

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Havent had a valve spring break, and I hope I never do.
    I did know about the towing, it's on the warranty paperwork, they put it in real small print on the back of one of the pages, almost like they dont want the customer to know. Some of the warranty plans also have motel reimbursement too.

3. 2k8z71

I ain't too worried about the hotel. I got a nice discount for being a veteran. I didn't realize that a broken valve would cause so much trouble with the engine. I just thought that since it had AFM, it would shut the cylinder down or something. Boy was I wrong. Would barely start and run when I moved it to a call box and also when I moved it from the street outside the dealership to where the service people grab them. From the looks of the paperwork, they also replaced the lifter as well. Maybe I'm reading that wrong though lol. But it's running like new.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Wouldnt be surprised if they had to replace the lifter, a rocker replacement wouldnt surprise me either though.
    The AFM system is pretty complicated, one broken piece seems to shut down most of the valve train.
    I've been doing some studying on the system and finding out it doesnt like to run with one down cylinder unless the computer tells it to, alot of the issue seems to be with keeping the down cylinders to a certain temperature while not in use.

5. 2k8z71

yeah, it seemed to be pissed at me when I restarted it to move it back onto the freeway for the tow truck to find. And also when I moved it from the street in front of the dealership up to the area where the service people are. Could barely keep it running. But I just drove to LA from Bakersfield and it seemed to be running fine. I hope I don't break any more lol.