1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck Camping? Truck Tents?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

2. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

It's currently my favorite way to camp! As it's just the wife and I now, we have plenty of room between the tent and the cab of the truck to place our campin gear. My only real concern with camping this way is that we don't always find level camping sites, which make for "interesting" sleeping arrangements! Eventually when we have some rug rats of our own, I'm going to look into purchasing a pop up tent trailer for campin. My grand parents had one of those, and I thought it was pretty much perfect for weekends with family![​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've looked into them before cause I think it would be cool to have. Does anyone know if there is one that works with a truck with an over the bedrails toolbox?
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I thought I had posted in this thread before, but apparently not. I bought one a couple of months ago for my avalanche and its great. I've only used it once and forgot to take pictures, so those will have to wait until next summer, but it has lots of room and sets up in about the same time as a normal tent once you are used to it. Level sites aren't to much of an issue in my opinion because I just park the truck so that it will be level side-to-side and then I just sleep with my head facing uphill. I do like travel trailers for their space and convenience, but the avalanche tent lets me have a space off the ground with an air mattress (and heat/ac if you open the midgate on the avalanche) and still load my quad on the trailer and take it camping.

I don't know if they make them specifically for that, but it would be easy enough just to get one for a shorter box length and use it.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I just bought a pop up camper this summer, but for the last 3 years I have gone to a ton of swap meets and flea markets in my truck tent. It's camoflouge to go with the dark green color of my truck, and I just used a queen size air matress in the back. I had several people want to buy it, but I just couldn't part with it.
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Carry 2x6's and you can place them as needed under your tires to better level the truck.
  7. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

I've done just about any kind of camping you could think of (except hanging off a cliff while rock climbing:), but I'm looking forward to trying out my truck bed in the near future. The truck is a new Silverado that I have just installed a Leer cap on to use for camping. I also ordered a BedRug bed liner that I haven't installed yet. I waiting on some rubber tailgaite seal that I ordered last week. I thought at first that I would make a short bunk so I could install gear underneath, but I have since thought otherwise. Can't wait to give it a go!
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Hey cool, looking forward to seeing some pics of that when you get it all together.
  9. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Currently looking for a truck tent, because sleeping on a cot, under the leather tonneau works but is not the greatest. Anyone have and recommendations for a good truck tent?
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

A good topper and air mattress will do.. DSCF1551.jpg DSCF1550.jpg DSCF1554.jpg DSCF1519.jpg DSCF1520.jpg