GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Truck Camping? Truck Tents?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

2. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

It's currently my favorite way to camp! As it's just the wife and I now, we have plenty of room between the tent and the cab of the truck to place our campin gear. My only real concern with camping this way is that we don't always find level camping sites, which make for "interesting" sleeping arrangements! Eventually when we have some rug rats of our own, I'm going to look into purchasing a pop up tent trailer for campin. My grand parents had one of those, and I thought it was pretty much perfect for weekends with family![​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. MD4x4 Fireman

MD4x4 Fireman New Member

I've looked into them before cause I think it would be cool to have. Does anyone know if there is one that works with a truck with an over the bedrails toolbox?
  4. pmf608

pmf608 New Member

I thought I had posted in this thread before, but apparently not. I bought one a couple of months ago for my avalanche and its great. I've only used it once and forgot to take pictures, so those will have to wait until next summer, but it has lots of room and sets up in about the same time as a normal tent once you are used to it. Level sites aren't to much of an issue in my opinion because I just park the truck so that it will be level side-to-side and then I just sleep with my head facing uphill. I do like travel trailers for their space and convenience, but the avalanche tent lets me have a space off the ground with an air mattress (and heat/ac if you open the midgate on the avalanche) and still load my quad on the trailer and take it camping.

I don't know if they make them specifically for that, but it would be easy enough just to get one for a shorter box length and use it.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I just bought a pop up camper this summer, but for the last 3 years I have gone to a ton of swap meets and flea markets in my truck tent. It's camoflouge to go with the dark green color of my truck, and I just used a queen size air matress in the back. I had several people want to buy it, but I just couldn't part with it.
  6. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member

Carry 2x6's and you can place them as needed under your tires to better level the truck.
  7. FlyBye

FlyBye New Member

I've done just about any kind of camping you could think of (except hanging off a cliff while rock climbing:), but I'm looking forward to trying out my truck bed in the near future. The truck is a new Silverado that I have just installed a Leer cap on to use for camping. I also ordered a BedRug bed liner that I haven't installed yet. I waiting on some rubber tailgaite seal that I ordered last week. I thought at first that I would make a short bunk so I could install gear underneath, but I have since thought otherwise. Can't wait to give it a go!
  8. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member

Hey cool, looking forward to seeing some pics of that when you get it all together.
  9. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

Currently looking for a truck tent, because sleeping on a cot, under the leather tonneau works but is not the greatest. Anyone have and recommendations for a good truck tent?
  10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

A good topper and air mattress will do.. DSCF1551.jpg DSCF1550.jpg DSCF1554.jpg DSCF1519.jpg DSCF1520.jpg
  11. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

why not just use the bumper + a tree and use a nice hammock... save yourself a few hundred dollars lol
  12. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

I could never put a topper on my truck, never liked them (sorry to those who have them). The hammock would work but it would have to have a rain fly, but will look into the idea.
  13. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Heck
    Get a 96-99 Suburban-they are dirt cheap-rarely over $3000-frequently $2500 and less here in NOLA.
    Pull the 3rd row-flop the second flat-throw a air mattress or cheap used futon mattress in there-it takes a queen sized futon mattress-over 50" between wheel wells.
    Yeah just like a long bed pickup but cheaper and you don't need the tent.
    You can even run the engine for AC- or haul a generator and little window unit on a hitch carrier
    Yeah older Suburbans are great road trip car camping vehicles
    We sleep at rest stops when we cross TX- HY 287 DFW to Amarillo-nap at rest stops on I-40 too-
    forget those pricy motels.
    I suspect a swamp cooler-evap cooler-would work farther west-NM AZ- but it is still surprisingly humid outside Amarillo-looks so dry you wouldn't figure it would still be humid
    Always looking for a better way to stay cool while sleeping-running the AC- 4 gallons 7 hrs-isn't too bad
    but scared I might spring a leak-coolant or oil-sleep thru it-and cook my motor-
    Gotta be careful about carbon monoxide too-park with the exhaust point downwind
    Yeah not ideal-anyone have a better way to stay cool -it was 93 degrees at 11:30 pm July 2008 when we stopped at the rest stop outside Childress TX-Hardemann County-HY 287-hot for almost midnight!!
    Thanks
    Charlie
  14. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

If I wasn't in college maybe haha, but was looking for something that maybe my girlfriend and I could take on a weekend to the parks around scranton. I already have a 3 man tent so I'll probably just stick with that. Just liked the idea of being able to put it in the truck.
  15. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Member

I'm sorry, did you say UNDER the leather tonneau? That's got to be pretty cramped. I have actually done this myself, but only in an emergency.
  16. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos New Member

Here's the link on Autoanything.com's truck tents: http://www.autoanything.com/shop/sportz-truck-tent
    Yer lookin at about $190 for the tent alone, but they're not bad! the Sportz III is currently what I have for met set up. DSC01406.jpg DSC01408.jpg

been using this tent for the past 6 years or so with no issues, nice tent fer two. Like I said previously though, I will be in the market for a pop up tent trailer later on when the childrens show up. We'll probably keep this for when friends wanna go out with us.
  17. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member

It was cramped, but kept my head out on the tailgate (until the rain came). Then I crawled back under haha
  18. SilveradoDreamer

SilveradoDreamer New Member

Why not? Already using the trailer hitch receiver to hold a porta-potty seat.... uc-100-b.jpg
  19. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

LMAO

not sure if genius...
    0cfd348d_vbattach207643.jpg
    or stupid....
  20. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member

Dave, you make that, or find it somewhere? I was looking at the Bumper Dumper, but decided for $70 I could build my own.