Truck Camping? Truck Tents?

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Sep 16, 2011.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

why not just use the bumper + a tree and use a nice hammock... save yourself a few hundred dollars lol

2. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts ROTM Winner

I could never put a topper on my truck, never liked them (sorry to those who have them). The hammock would work but it would have to have a rain fly, but will look into the idea.

3. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Heck
    Get a 96-99 Suburban-they are dirt cheap-rarely over $3000-frequently $2500 and less here in NOLA.
    Pull the 3rd row-flop the second flat-throw a air mattress or cheap used futon mattress in there-it takes a queen sized futon mattress-over 50" between wheel wells.
    Yeah just like a long bed pickup but cheaper and you don't need the tent.
    You can even run the engine for AC- or haul a generator and little window unit on a hitch carrier
    Yeah older Suburbans are great road trip car camping vehicles
    We sleep at rest stops when we cross TX- HY 287 DFW to Amarillo-nap at rest stops on I-40 too-
    forget those pricy motels.
    I suspect a swamp cooler-evap cooler-would work farther west-NM AZ- but it is still surprisingly humid outside Amarillo-looks so dry you wouldn't figure it would still be humid
    Always looking for a better way to stay cool while sleeping-running the AC- 4 gallons 7 hrs-isn't too bad
    but scared I might spring a leak-coolant or oil-sleep thru it-and cook my motor-
    Gotta be careful about carbon monoxide too-park with the exhaust point downwind
    Yeah not ideal-anyone have a better way to stay cool -it was 93 degrees at 11:30 pm July 2008 when we stopped at the rest stop outside Childress TX-Hardemann County-HY 287-hot for almost midnight!!
    Thanks
    Charlie

4. KyleZ71

If I wasn't in college maybe haha, but was looking for something that maybe my girlfriend and I could take on a weekend to the parks around scranton. I already have a 3 man tent so I'll probably just stick with that. Just liked the idea of being able to put it in the truck.

5. Aeropagus

Aeropagus Rockstar Platinum Contributor 100 Posts

I'm sorry, did you say UNDER the leather tonneau? That's got to be pretty cramped. I have actually done this myself, but only in an emergency.

6. Drake_korthos

Drake_korthos Rockstar ROTM Winner 100 Posts

Here's the link on Autoanything.com's truck tents: http://www.autoanything.com/shop/sportz-truck-tent
    Yer lookin at about $190 for the tent alone, but they're not bad! the Sportz III is currently what I have for met set up. DSC01406.jpg DSC01408.jpg

been using this tent for the past 6 years or so with no issues, nice tent fer two. Like I said previously though, I will be in the market for a pop up tent trailer later on when the childrens show up. We'll probably keep this for when friends wanna go out with us.

7. KyleZ71

It was cramped, but kept my head out on the tailgate (until the rain came). Then I crawled back under haha

8. Why not? Already using the trailer hitch receiver to hold a porta-potty seat.... uc-100-b.jpg

9. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

LMAO

not sure if genius...
    0cfd348d_vbattach207643.jpg
    or stupid....

10. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Dave, you make that, or find it somewhere? I was looking at the Bumper Dumper, but decided for $70 I could build my own.