1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

truck did something weirdly awesome today......

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by sevi084x4, May 29, 2012.

1. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

Well my average mpg on my truck is 14.7 for the 9k miles it has on it but today for about 15 minutes my decided to stay in 4 cylinder.... Getting 40+ mpg the time...this ever happen to anyone else?
    2012-05-29_06-27-12_163.jpg
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

That's your "instant" mpg, meaning, for the instant you are looking at the DIC.

Change to the "average" mpg to see if staying in V4 made any diff. Probably not, you only drove for maybe 15 miles in V4, 15 is a very low percentage of 9,000.

Or, have I mis-understood your question? Are you asking if any others have noticed the truck staying in V4 for 15 min?
  3. LOVINTHESTORM

LOVINTHESTORM New Member 1000 Posts

Yeah mine has done that. You know this only means you didn't have your foot in the pedal. If your at a low cruising speed and your truck doesn't get a heavy load on it, it should do that regularly. But if your anything like me you like to feel and hear that power keeping in V8. Your experience is only a testament that if your not in a hurry you could get better gas mileage. The fact that you've never seen your truck do this before means that you like getting were your going. Slow down and you should see this more often.:rofl:
    Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

I was just asking if anyone has been in low displacement mode for that long? Usually its less than minute at a time for me
  5. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Active Member 1000 Posts

mine has done that from time to time. around here its hard to stay in V4 mode due to traffic, but ive had a few minutes from time to time. ive seen as high as 50 a few times.

Alex
  6. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 New Member

Yah traffic and always going around 80 mph are my down fall apparently haha
  7. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Active Member 1000 Posts

Hard to get the 4cyl mode doing 80. :lol: I can't say I've seen it stay in that mode for that long, but I drive all local roads, or usually am in traffic.
  8. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

On my commute to work most days I set the cruise at 63mph and it'll usually kick into V4 a mile from the on ramp and stay there for about the next 18 miles when I have to climb a slight rise, for the next 14 miles after that it's on and off. In V4 the instant MPG usually runs about 27mpg, my avg mpg has been steady at 19 for about 8K miles.
  9. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

As far as the instant econ goes, I have gotten mine to say 99mpg going down a steep hill with the truck in neutral. I have also had it say 1mpg going up the same hill with my foot on the floor. I always leave mine on average econ. The instant seems worthless to me as it varies so much. Up an incline on the freeway it goes down to 8 down the otherside it goes up to 30.
  10. 05Retro

05Retro New Member

Mine won't stay in 4cyl mode unless going down hill. Even on a flat going 60mph it will only do 4cyl mode for a few seconds at a time. My buddy's truck can do it for miles and his is stock.

Can you get the ECU flashed or hyper tech chip or something to hold it in 4cyl mode more? I can't step on the gas more than about 1/8" and it kicks into V8 mode. I've love it if the 1st 1/2" (up to 1/4 or 1/3rd throttle) of pedal movement.