1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck died, have question

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by budfreak, Jun 23, 2010.

1. budfreak

budfreak Rockstar

So I jumped on the highway today in my 97 Silverado 350 and made it about 1 mile when my truck just died. I pulled off to the side of the road and tried starting it and it almost sounds like it is out of time with the way it cranks. I checked for error codes with my scanner and there are none. I suspect the timing chain broke being as how the engine has 210K miles on it which brings me to my main question: Is the vortec 350 an interference engine?
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

No it is not as far as i know.. However you might have another issue to look at such as the cap/rotor, and distributor. Since the pick up coil cold have gone out as well making it sound like that as well as the Spider injector could have died as well. Just a few ideas since its pretty rare that a timing chain lets loose.
  3. budfreak

budfreak Rockstar

My mechanic looked at it today and says I just need a tune up. He said the coil wire has been arcing and has burned the wire and it has probably effected my cap and rotor too. I will update after I do a tune up on it and see what happens.
  4. murdog94

K sounds good.. On the bright side you have a motor that 300K miles isnt really anything anymore..
  5. budfreak

budfreak Rockstar

UPDATE:
    I did a complete tuneup and it is now running but only on 6 cylinders. My mechanic said I have no fire out of 3 and 5 and says I need a distributor. Does this sound right? Anybody have one for a good price out there for my 97 chevy vortec 350?
  6. ejohnson03

ejohnson03 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Just had to replace my Distributer as well. It only had 184,000 miles on it though.

Summitracing.com has several. But my preference is Accel.
  7. murdog94

Also if you look a bit you might be able to find a used one as well. That is what we have done with all of the ones that have failed on my buddies Vortecs... It is a common problem on the 5.7L Vortec since it is made out of plastic.. So not to surprising
  8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What part of the distributor is plastic?? My 98 Suburban-213,300 miles- runs great, but I like to keep my eyes pealed for future problems.

The cap is plastic of course, but are you saying the body of the distributor is plastic- not metal???

Thanks
    Charlie
  9. budfreak

budfreak Rockstar

OK, good to know that it is a common thing and is probably the problem. I was thinking of getting a used one, but then I might just have this problem again 5K miles later knowing my luck and I can't afford for this to keep happening at the cost of tows and parts. I'll just have to wait I guess until I have $150 bucks to spend unless I come across an unpassable cheap deal on a used one.
  10. murdog94

Yep the body is plastic as well.. The only metal is the gear and shaft. Otherwise its all plastic..
    As to the going out again yeah i would go with a new one with a warranty. I forgot you arent doing the work yourself.. A new one should last as long if not longer.