Truck dies

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by djback, Sep 9, 2012.

1. djback

djback New Member

My truck dies when i get to a stop sign. When i have the thermostat in the truck it always dies at stop signs. But when I dont have it in and after it heats up a little it will rev up and stay alive but it seems like a high idle. I have a brand new iac. new spark plug/ wires, distributor, the ignition control module has been test at autozone it was said to be good. any ideas?? its a 91 gmc 1500 4.3l 2wd
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

I do not know why the thermostat would cause that issue. I have seen trucks with low transfluid die when stopped. I added fluid to get it to the correct level and the truck ran fine.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Moderator

Lack of a thermostat keeps it from getting to operating temp, and therefore the truck stays in open loop mode, running from pre-programmed tables in the computer. Check for vacuum leaks. Those can cause problems!
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member

I knew that it would not get to operating temp, but did not even think about the open loop mode. Thanks [MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION]
  5. djback

djback New Member

I figured out today my egr valve wasent working because the tube wasent tight enough so i fixed that. It only moves a little bit is that what its suppose to do. I sprayed so carbon cleaner on the egr and the truck reved up a little does that mean the egr valve gasket is bad? When take the tube off the mass air flow sensor it idles good... is that because of a vacuum leak?
  6. djback

djback New Member

IMAG0025.jpg does anyone know where this purple wire goes... its up by the firewall...