1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck dies

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by djback, Sep 9, 2012.

1. djback

djback New Member

My truck dies when i get to a stop sign. When i have the thermostat in the truck it always dies at stop signs. But when I dont have it in and after it heats up a little it will rev up and stay alive but it seems like a high idle. I have a brand new iac. new spark plug/ wires, distributor, the ignition control module has been test at autozone it was said to be good. any ideas?? its a 91 gmc 1500 4.3l 2wd
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I do not know why the thermostat would cause that issue. I have seen trucks with low transfluid die when stopped. I added fluid to get it to the correct level and the truck ran fine.
  3. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Lack of a thermostat keeps it from getting to operating temp, and therefore the truck stays in open loop mode, running from pre-programmed tables in the computer. Check for vacuum leaks. Those can cause problems!
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I knew that it would not get to operating temp, but did not even think about the open loop mode. Thanks [MENTION=12002]moogvo[/MENTION]
  5. djback

djback New Member

I figured out today my egr valve wasent working because the tube wasent tight enough so i fixed that. It only moves a little bit is that what its suppose to do. I sprayed so carbon cleaner on the egr and the truck reved up a little does that mean the egr valve gasket is bad? When take the tube off the mass air flow sensor it idles good... is that because of a vacuum leak?
  6. djback

djback New Member

IMAG0025.jpg does anyone know where this purple wire goes... its up by the firewall...