Truck doesn't seem to shift into 4 L

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by hishiad, Mar 23, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. hishiad

hishiad New Member

I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 Silverado Extended Cab with the 5.7 Vortec Motor. It has the push button 4wd pushing it once I can hear it click and the 4 H (4 high) light will come on, I assume pushing it again will put it into 4 low, but the 4L light doesn't come on and it instead stays with the 4H light on.

Is this a problem with the switch? Is the truck not actually going into 4wd? Or is it possible 4H works and 4L doesn't? (seems unlikely, but I'm not sure)

Thanks,
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are you putting it in neutral to put it in 4Lo?
  3. hishiad

hishiad New Member

Park normally, should it be in neutral?
  4. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

It would be healthy. I know my 99NBS will only go into 4Lo in neutral
  5. hishiad

hishiad New Member

So in other words, I'm about to ebay myself a proper owner's manual and use neutral for shifting into 4X4 from now on! I'll try tomorrow and update to let you know if it comes on properly.

Is there an easy way to see if it has properly engaged 4x4 without having to get stuck?
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For what it may be worth here's what's in my 2004 GMC Owner's manual:

Shifting into 4HI or AUTO 4WD

Press and release the 4HI or AUTO 4WD switch. This can be done at any speed (except when shifting from 4LO), and the indicator light will flash while shifting. It will remain illuminated when the shift is completed.

Shifting into 2HI
    Press and release the 2HI switch. This can be done at any speed (except when shifting from 4LO).

Shifting into 4LO
    To shift to 4LO, the ignition must be in RUN and the vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3 mph (4.8 km/h) with the transmission in NEUTRAL (N). The preferred method for shifting into 4LO is to have your vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h). Press and release the 4LO switch. You must wait for the 4LO indicator light to stop flashing and remain illuminated before shifting your transmission in gear.

Notice: Shifting the transmission into gear before the 4LO indicator light has stopped flashing could damage the transfer case. To help avoid damaging your vehicle, always wait for the 4LO indicator light to stop flashing before shifting the transmission into gear.

It is typical for your vehicle to exhibit significant engagement noise and bump when shifting between 4LO and 4HI ranges or from NEUTRAL with the engine running. If the 4LO switch is pressed when your vehicle is in gear and/or moving, the 4LO indicator light will flash for 30 seconds and not complete the shift unless your vehicle is moving less than 3 mph (4.8 km/h) and the transmission is in NEUTRAL (N). After 30 seconds the transfer case will shift to 4HI mode.

Shifting Out of 4LO
    To shift from 4LO to 4HI, AUTO 4WD or 2HI your vehicle must be stopped or moving less than 3 mph (4.8 km/h) with the transmission in NEUTRAL (N) and the ignition in RUN. The preferred method for shifting out of 4LO is to have your vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h). Press and release the 4HI, AUTO 4WD or 2HI switch. You must wait for the 4HI, AUTO 4WD or 2HI indicator light to stop flashing and remain illuminated before shifting your transmission into gear.

Notice: Shifting the transmission into gear before the 4LO indicator light has stopped flashing could damage the transfer case. To help avoid damaging your vehicle, always wait for the 4LO indicator light to stop flashing before shifting the transmission into gear.

It is typical for your vehicle to exhibit significant engagement noise and bump when shifting between 4LO and 4HI ranges or from NEUTRAL with the engine running. If the 4HI, AUTO 4WD or 2HI switch is pressed when your vehicle is in gear and/or moving, the 4HI, AUTO 4WD or 2HI indicator light will flash for 30 seconds but will not complete the shift unless your vehicle is moving less than 3 mph (4.8 km/h) and the transmission is in NEUTRAL (N).
  7. hishiad

hishiad New Member

When in Neutral it shifts into 4L and 4H correctly, thanks for the info guys!
  8. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Just to note, always come to a complete stop with the brake fully depressed swap it into 4L, if you want to have a little fun, there's a fuse under your column when you open the door you pop off the cover, pull the 4wd actuator fuse, then when you put it into 4L, you will be in 2L and have some rank low end grunt haha.