truck having troubles starting

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by tjr, Jun 14, 2010.

1. tjr

tjr New Member

i have a o7 silverado classic with a 6.0L i just had a brand new engine put in it and new battery and new starter but it wont turn over there is power goin to the starter kuz it tries to turn it but sounds like it just doesnt have enough juice there is plenty of power goin to the starter and it has a shim in it so the starter wont bind on the fly wheel but im at a dead end ha and losein my mind plz help
    :great:

2. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

verify that both your battery & your starter are rated ABOVE what is needed to crank it over
    plus did you get it going before & it just started having problems or is this from the very beginning
    after dropping new engine in it? why DID you put new engine in it?
    are you sure that the shims arent too thick and not allowing it to bite enough?
    :neutral:

3. 96_Tahoe

96_Tahoe New Member

I would look into trying different shims, Also, Are you sure the new motor turns over properly? I would try to turn it manually with a ratchet on the crank pulley, if it doesnt turn that way then there is a motor issue.

If it does, then re-shim and try again, and make sure the starter works in the first place, unbolt it and have it tested at a local parts store, or if there is enough cable to safely lay it on the ground while still hooked to the truck, then kick it over and see what you get

4. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

was this a crate engine or did you put it together?
    was the distributor in it or did you have to line it up and put it in?

- as an example on starter problems, alot of custom big block choppers have had
    issues of starting, and its cause they're so damn large that a standard starter
    wont crank out the torque to turn over the engine....
    it happens in high compression engines, gotta install compression releases... ( on choppers )
    :happy: