1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck interior question ~ 2013 LT1

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by jrltdk, Nov 13, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. jrltdk

jrltdk New Member

Someone I have recently meet said he thinks that GM trucks have cheap plastic "Fisher Price" interiors. We were looking at a 2013 C-1500 LT1 and also a 2013 LTZ. I thought all new trucks use lots of cheap plastic nowadays. He said that Chevy just looks cheaper than others while pointing out the door panels, dash and, center console. Does his statement have any validity to it or is he just blowing smoke?
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

They all have plastic but GM make plastic look sexy :lol:
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The bad news is YES GM does use easy to scrach Door panels and other things.. But alot of other Co's now do the same to save on money..
  4. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Back in the day, GM and Ford used hard wood for trim inside...... now its vinyl wood trim GM, Ford or Dodge.... everything is done on the cheap now.
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would like to see a bit of cloth on the door panels. But it is something that most are doing for cost savings.
  6. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

My 96 has a nicer interior than most new trucks, they used vinyl to simulate leather on the door, but its as in an effort to cover the plastic panels.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Well obviously whoever you talked to isnt a GM fan and hasnt paid any attention to other truck manufacturers interiors. Unless you go with an LTZ, Lairame, or King Ranch models they all use a lot of plastic, and even the upscale trucks have a lot of plastic panels.
    Cloth panels just dont have the durability and get dirty much quicker than plastic, if your getting a truck because you want a luxury car that can haul a load then an all cloth interior should do you well, but most people still buy trucks because they either plan on using it to haul and do dirty jobs or they actually do dirty jobs that dictate easy to clean and maintain interiors.
  8. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member 100 Posts

Ya they do use a lot of plastic now in the late model vehicles. But its just because the car manufacturers are cheap and greedy, they want all the money they can get for a plasticy car. I think that back in the day all of them made the best vehicles, at least better that todays new vehicles.
  9. jrltdk

jrltdk New Member

Thanks for your input
  10. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Yeah, I agree. The world has changed and to make things cheaper and lighter, they're going the route that they have gone.

Now, that being said, I wouldn't say that they are cheap (meaning poor quality and poor construction). All of the handles, switches and pulls are very high quality and designed very well. Most people find the driving experience to be very comfortable, on par with a nice sedan from 15 years ago! Trucks are used in so many ways anymore and they're built so well that you're not going to really have anything to worry about with fit and finish.