Truck Is At Dealer For Oil Consumption!!

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ChevyBoy2009, Aug 12, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. ChevyBoy2009

ChevyBoy2009 New Member 100 Posts

:grrrrrr:Well guys i think my truck is having the big oil consumption issue...truck has 63k on it...i was praying my truck wouldnt have it but im not so lucky..so how it all started,last oil change around 2k on the oil change,my dash lit up and said low oil pressure and shut off engine immediatly,so i did. I changed oil that day and about 2-3 quarts came out,didnt pay much attention to it. So i changed the oil and filter and thought i was good to go,but at 962 miles on this oil change my dash lit up and said the the same thing(no smoke),i checked the oil and i was a quart to 1.5 quarts low!!!!!...(that was this weekend)I AM PISSED...so i called the dealership on saturday and they said that was quite abit for only 962 miles on oil change,so drop it off on Monday(today) so i did and they gave me a damn 02 dodge caravan for a loaner!!!:grrrrrr:(with engine light on and only 30 miles to empty)did i say IM PISSED?...im calling GM headquarters myself and saying a few words tomorrow,if they dont listen im driving this caravan straight to that place and up there A$$...(sorry its been a long day)...plus i have a transfer case seal out...I love this truck and i want it fixed!...anywho i had to vent and this was the place i was going to do it!...sounds like im getting new valve covers,deflector shield and possibly new pistons and rings,transfer case seal,blah blah blah:grrrrrr::tuxout:

(This is GM's engineers):no:
    GM.jpg
  2. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Are you using Mobil 1 and an AC PF48 oil filter?
  3. ChevyBoy2009

Im using Mobil 1 5W-30 and a Mobil 1 oil fiilter
  4. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 New Member 100 Posts

Is it at least cover under warranty? But seeing issues like these with the NNBS make me want to stay in my NBS as long as possible.
  5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Wow
    not good.
    And they won't smoke when using oil because the CATCON will burn the oil.
    Yeah cars used to warn you when rings weren't sealing and valve guide seals were leaking-not anymore.
    Now huge amounts of oil can kill the cat con eventually-several quarts per 2000 miles-might do the cat con in eventually
    I doubt my 1998 uses 1 qt per 5000 miles(223,000 miles)
  6. ChevyBoy2009

Well guys i just got a call from the dealership...truck is done!...and yes i was fully covered under powertrain warrenty...they replaced the right transfer case seal,it was bad. They also changed left valve cover for the oil consumption.The intake was full of oil i guess so in return i was just burning the oil(didnt notice it)they then refilled my oil for me and i should be good to go.Still got another full year of powertrain warrenty on it also i found out.I told them to check a hose behind the motor because i seen it was pretty dirty/dust with oil residue...engine(oil)cooler hose?...they said it aint that bad yet but i should change it within the next year...(they did everything the TSB told them to do they said)...i like this dealership and they treat people right(dropped it off last night and they called me at 9:30 this morning saying it was done)so im still a happy GM customer!
  7. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Chevyboy or anyone

EXACTLY HOW does AFM contribute to increased oil consumption?
    And how will changing a valve cover-just the left? fix oil consumption?

PCV valve- supposed to send air from crankcase(air which would be oil contaminated wit oil mist) to the intake and then to combustion chamber where it is burned or burned downstream in the cat con?

Is the valve cover change supposed to somehow make the oil mist "drop out" of the crankcase air so it isn't sent to the combustion chamber and wasted burned ?? Maybe runs the air into some baffles-oil drops out of air?
    Is that it?
    Great your dealership jumped on it-keep us posted on how well it works
  8. ChevyBoy2009

They might have done more but ill find out more tonight when i pick it up and look at the invoice/paperwork
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

When the motor goes from 8-4 cly it still pumps oil into the 4 dead cly's when it goes back to 8 it burns it off.. So I am told..Anyway did they DEcarben the motor too? They did to mine.

And why on EARTH would a Chevy dealer give you a Chry Crap van unless you told them you had a family and needed it..?
  10. ChevyBoy2009

They said they cleaned it all up?...i told them i wanted something cool and they said all we have is 2 vans...a Dodge Grand Caravan and a Ford Windstar...so i picked the better looking one lol