1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

truck knocks on startup :/

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by quicksilver8817, Dec 27, 2011.

Random Gallery Photos

1. quicksilver8817

quicksilver8817 New Member 100 Posts

1990 k1500 .. 350 knock for about 25 seconds upon startup and the the knock goes away .. would really like to know what the issue is ..?
  2. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

How many miles on the motor? Could be worn bearings.
  3. quicksilver8817

185000 on the odomoter i dont know how much on the actual motor
  4. Boonduff

The knock is most likely caused by excessive bearing clearances. The only way to tell for sure is to pull a bearing cap and check.
  5. quicksilver8817

as that a big project ... i just tore apart my front differential to change the clips that hold the spindle shafts in place and that was a big project. i just cannot afford another big project at the moment ..
  6. quicksilver8817

my buddy told me the oil filter may be too restrictive and not allowing oild to enter as quickly as it should
  7. maasmania

maasmania New Member

this happens to mine as well. but chevrolet says as long as it goes away then it shouldnt damage anything. mines done it since 30k and im about to hit 190k with no issues. its worse in the cold correct?
  8. Corso

Corso New Member

What Chevy doesn't? :lol:
  9. Boonduff

A Dealer told you that? Please tell us which one so they can be avoided. Lifter clatter is common on cold mornings but rod or main bearing knock means a badly worn motor.
  10. Corso

Corso New Member

Rod or main bearing knock wouldn't go away after 20 seconds.