1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck running lazy

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by vieques, May 4, 2013.

1. vieques

vieques New Member

I have a 1999 GMC C2500. Put a new engine and got the truck running again. For some reason it feels like it has no power, gas milage is about 12-13 mpg. I have change spark plugs, wires and also done injector cleaner. Check fule pressure and stay right around 50 psi. No engine lights is on but the truck still feels lazy. oh, I also installed a new K&N cold air intake.
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

could be fuel pressure is low. 5.7L you need 60 psi key on engine off. running should be 57 psi area.

a restricted exhaust is another common power killer. with the 5.7L replacing the distributor is a good thing to do .
  3. vieques

vieques New Member

I checked the fule pressure the other day and with engine of was about 55 psi. I did not checked with the engine running. I will do that next. I have flow master muffler but still have the factory cat.
  4. j cat

restricted exhaust can occur if the cat gets melted internally or the cat breaks apart and plugs up the muffler.

remove the upstream O2 sensors . leave the holes open and see if power returns. if so then the exhaust is the problem.

you saw 50 psi now 55 psi . this makes a big difference in engine power.50 is too low ..55 is good...
  5. vieques

vieques New Member

OkI will do that. i will keep you posted. Thanks.
  6. thrasher

thrasher New Member 100 Posts

If the truck has high milage & it hasn't been done already, you might want to replace the fuel filter also.
  7. j cat

good idea on the fuel filter .. a 2500 truck 12 MPG uses a lot of fuel so the filter need be replaced more often .