1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck shakes while Idle

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by repley81, Apr 11, 2013.

1. repley81

repley81 Member

Is my truck supposed to shake while it is idle? It happens while idle every couple of seconds it seems like the truck shakes a little bit.

Oh its a 08 Sierra Denali.

Also, when I say shake, I mean its like a shiver if you know what I mean.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Did you put the wrong gas in?? Is your motor shaking?
  3. repley81

repley81 Member

Im not sure what it is. I use premium gas. It's like every 15-20 seconds, it seems like the truck vibrates while sitting still. I've just never felt anything like that in a vehicle before.
  4. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Both the 4.8 in my old silverado and the 5.3 in my Avalanche do this. Its just like a little twitch every few seconds. As far as I can tell, its fairly normal for Vortec engines since mine have both done it while running top-notch. I don't really know what causes it, but I know that it doesn't come with any current or pending misfire/other check engine codes and it doesn't affect the performance of the engine.

That being said, keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse because that would indicate a larger issue. Hopefully that won't be the case though.
  5. repley81

repley81 Member

Gawd, I really hope that's all it is.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I have had 3 5.3L motors and one of them did what you are describing. I ran some sea foam thru the brake booster line and it smoothed it out.
  7. repley81

repley81 Member

Mind going into detail on how this work please?
  8. Pikey

You take the large vacuum line off of your brake booster. start the truck, SLOWLY suck half a can of sea foam into the engine thru the line. Shut the truck off. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so. reconnect the line, Start it up and watch the smoke show. Don't do it in a closed garage! Every vehicle I have done it to smokes like crazy for a few minutes as it burns all the crap out.
  9. repley81

repley81 Member

Awesome, thanks. Kinda starting to worry I bought a Lemon, I've had it for almost a month and it seems like every week I find something else wrong.
  10. Pikey

I know how you feel. I bought an 05 yukon xl last summer and have had the Front diff, transfercase, steering gearbox, hydro brake booster, alternator, power steering pump, idler pully, and both belt tensioners replaced under warranty.