1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Truck shaking rapidly.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by CrownX, Feb 20, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. CrownX

CrownX New Member

Well, I'm only posting this because I want to figure out what's going on with my moms vehicle.
    I know my ways around a vehicle, but her boyfriend said he replaced the Ball joints, but at about 40mph the trucks will continue to shake badly.

Does anyone know what might cause this?
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

What kind of truck?
  3. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

could be a tire balance issue.

dunno, this is out of my forte.

Alex
  4. CrownX

CrownX New Member

It's a 95 Suburban 4x4.
    All the tires are balanced.

I'm thinking maybe the ujoints?
  5. rileyjr16

Is it a shake or a vibration?
  6. CrownX

CrownX New Member

It's an intense shaking.

When you start going past 40mph the whole steering wheel will just shift from left to right constantly.
  7. rileyjr16

Then it could be the tires out of balance
  8. Naptime

Naptime New Member 100 Posts

I've had a couple of trucks that exhibited similar symptoms. It wouldn't happen every time, but often enough.
    You're driving along then a slight shimmy escalates to a fairly violent shudder -almost like a paint shaker- that can only be stopped by slowing to a crawl.
    Had to replace the steering boxes on both.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  9. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member 100 Posts

A shake can be caused by wear in suspension or steering components, also check wheel bearings.
  10. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had an issue on my 1995 silverado that sounds the same. The bolts for the idler arm bracket loosened up. That on top of bad 35" super swampers made the steering wheel shift left and right. It would hop all over the road at about 40 mph. I could only stop it by slowing to a crawl. But, your issue could be many things! Wheel bearings, tires, bad alignment after the ball joint job, ball joints incorrectly installed, Front axle shaft bad, Axle shaft nut not tight, front axle shafts not reinstalled correctly after ball joints. I have seen guys not have the axle shaft seated in the wheel hub, then they cranked the nut down. This left the wheel end of the shaft cocked and it vibrated like crazy. Did this vibration show up after the ball joint job?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012